Chapter One

I woke up to the whistle of wind in the spring trees, and birds singing outside my window. Living in a large manor beside the pack house, I knew everyone was probably still asleep, but that did not deter me from getting up. I looked at the blinking time of my alarm clock and saw it was 5am, two hours before I would normally get up, and on any other day I would probably go back to sleep. But not today.

            Because today was the ceremony.

            Ever since I was a pup, learning the basics of being a Luna, being taught how to rule with an iron paw and a caring heart, I knew today was something of dreams. Being the first born of my family, I was first to go to the ceremony, and I was beyond nervous. I didn't want to be scared, I wanted to be strong and prepared like my friends were, but instead I was shaking in my boots knowing I was most likely going to meet the man of my dreams tonight. I had heard whisperings that a large pack from the north was coming to join us tonight, Shadow Claw was their name. Many of the younger ones go to school in the Were School not too far from our pack, located in the centre of three large packs. Averaging about 1500 people going to the school, each belonged to one of the packs. Shadow Claws, Silver Paws and Light Fangs mostly stuck within their pack. Hardly ever making friends outside of their people. Not because we were scared of the others, simply because it was more convenient.

            But tonight changed everything. On this night every year the packs gathered in celebration of mating and changing ceremony. Though Omegas changes on their 17th birthday, it was not the same for future Betas and Alphas. Instead we changed at the changing ceremony. For the past fifty years (only three ceremonies) the Shadow Claws had held their own ceremony, the most reclusive of the three packs. But this year, they chose to join us. Their eldest son was changing tonight, as was I and the second born of the Silver Paws.

            Lost in my thoughts I changed in to a tight baby blue tank top and a pair of white spandex shorts to go on my morning run. I needed the fresh air to wake up, and mostly to calm my nerves on a day like today.

            Slipping out of my large mahogany front doors, I stretched on the marble steps. All limbered up, I started jogging to the tune of Back in Black by AC/DC. The sidewalks of our hidden town (concealed by a shield our friends the wickens set up for us in return for defense against any intruders) were cracked and had blades of grass poking through. It wasn't new or shiny, but it was perfect the way it was. Speeding up my pace I passed the pack house and saw no lights on, the sun had yet to show its face, so I doubted anybody would be awake for a while. Continuing down the street I found my turn off in to the woods the encircled the town. I dashed inside, and sprinted between the trees dodging left and right. I was so accustomed to my route, albeit not it the dark, that my feet found their footing where they had every day before.

            The trees became fewer and then ended, leaving me in the field I sat in every morning. It was as different in the dark, stars still twinkling in the navy blue sky, moonlight casting its dim light over the tall grass. I laid down on a soft bed of overgrown grass and watched the sky turn from blue, to pink, to gold. Before long it was morning, and I picked myself up and started my trek back. Stopping only to pick a few wild daisies and lilies to bring back to my mother and sister.

            Returning home at 6, still nobody but a few omegas were awake, and I was left to solitude for a small while. I stepped back in to my purple and white bedroom, and went to my white dresser in search of today's outfit. I knew I wouldn't be wearing it all day, as I had a fancy dress to put on for the ceremony later, but I still had to look beautiful all day beforehand.

            Finding nothing in my dresser, I went to my walk in closet. I peered through jeans, skirts and shirts alike but nothing caught my eye. Until I finally got to my favorite thing in the world, dresses. I had about fifty, and nothing would slow my roll when it came to buying them. Fit and Flare were my favorite style because they added so much shape to my small stature. So naturally I picked out a blush colored fit and flare dress with an airy skirt, beaded bust and off the shoulder sleeves. It was both sexy and cute, and matched with gold bangles and high cork wedges, it was perfect for a spring day. I hopped in my shower and took extra care shaving my legs and arms to make sure I was hair free, no spots missed.

            When I was showered I looped my hair in a towel to let it dry while I did my makeup, starting with my eyes. It was impossible to pick a colour to match both my eyes because I had a rare condition called Heterochromia, meaning the iris of my eyes were two different colours. One being aqua blue, and the other forest green.

            It was rare enough for a human to have this mutation, but in a werewolf it was rarer. I didn't really mind though, because it meant I was different, and I had always prided myself in my two crazy eyes. Picking a silvery grey eyeshadow and sporting a masterfully crafter winged liner, I let my hair loose. It was long enough to reach my butt when wet, but its natural waves caused it to lose a few inches when it dried. I brushed it out and put in some mousse, I had never been too fond of styling my hair, and it had always been way too thick and heavy to do anything with anyway.

             I then slipped out of my towel and in to my dress, feeling the silky fabric hug my body in all the right places. I felt confident leaving the white tiled bathroom, and as I left my room at eight a.m I thought maybe today might not be as scary as it seemed.

        Hey you guys, I am Silver and I want to thank you for reading the first chapter of Alpha Bait! Thank you so much, and I will see you in the next chapter.