To you, 2,000 years from now

Birds flew overhead, casting shadows across the quiet village. The smell of freshly charred meat sizzled on the grill, filling the neighborhood with its mouthwatering aroma. Sarah sat on the swing in her backyard and stared at the sky. In just a couple of hours, Jean would be there, riding through the inner gate on his horse, galloping through the streets and into the city. She could see his face in her mind, just as she had seen it every day for the last eleven years.

It was strange not having him around for so long. Like a part of her was missing. A piece that held her together, yet now her edges were frayed, and the seam was torn. It had only been three weeks since he left with his family, and she was dying to have him back.

"Hey." Robert waved in front of her face, bringing her attention from the sky to himself. His dark brown hair shined beneath the autumn sun. Sarah smiled as she looked to her older brother, who was barely twenty, yet held the stature and build of a man twice his age. He could have any woman he wanted: he was handsome, charming, and extremely intelligent. His only downfall, in a world where differences weren't entirely respected, was that he was completely deaf.

Born with a hearing deficiency, he was taught at age four how to speak using his hands and fingers. It was a language they called signing, and Sarah's entire family, including Jean, were all fluent. The rest of the world didn't see fit to learn, and it took their mother four years of searching to find a teacher who was researched enough in the subject to teach it.

He laughed and shook his head as Sarah blinked away her thoughts. "What's with you?" he asked.

"What do you mean?" I said, using her hands the same as he.

"Daydreaming again?"

"Jean is coming. He'll be here soon."

"Seriously? All the way from Trost?"

"Yeah," she smiled. "I don't know how long he's staying, but he might try to find an apartment nearby."

"Maybe you two can run off into the sunset together."

She laughed through a blushed smile. "Yeah, right. You'd hunt me down so fast."

"Nah. Gotta let the bird fly sometime." He ruffled her hair. "I'm going to the inner city to grab some dinner. Should I get him anything?"

"No thanks." She leaned against the thin rope of the swing as her brother stepped away. Jumping to his side she tapped his shoulder. "Actually, I'll come with you."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I need to pass the time anyway."

He smiled and waved her forward. With a shout to their mother, who was off somewhere in the house, Sarah informed her of their departure. Outside, they hopped onto Robert's horse and rode to town.

The city was busy and full of people. While kids ran through the streets fighting or playing games, merchants attempted to woo passersby with their wares and food. Sarah wrapped around her brother's waist, watching the others as they strode by.

At just sixteen she had spent the last ten years in the same home. She could remember the day she moved in clearly. It was the day she met the frizzy hair boy next door. He was short and had a scrawny neck. Though he was meant to be a friend for Robert, who was four years his senior, Jean took a liking to Sarah, and the two became instant friends.

They spent every day together playing in the yard with their siblings and running through town with friends. She was happy to live in such a close-knit place, where everyone left their doors unlocked and crime was rare. It left her with a lot of memories and a strong sense of belonging. 

As they approached the market, which was a small tudor with a hanging sign post above the door that read Paula's Market and Feed, Robert leapt off the saddle and helped his sister to her feet.

"Alright," Robert said, "I'll go inside. You tie up Bluey."

"Aye aye, Captain."

He shook his head with a smile and stepped into the market.

Sarah led Bluey, their old mare, to the hitching post and tied her in next to a stallion. "You be good," she said to the brown steed. "I don't want any trouble from you." 

Turning back to Bluey, she rubbed her head and stepped away.

Heading for the entrance of the market, she was brushed aside by three girls. They were a year older than Sarah and of a wealthier family. Living in the city center, they were held to a higher esteem, and they weren't too proud to show it.

"Oh look, it's Sarah," Brandy, a girl with bright red hair laughed. "What are you doing here? Looking for scraps?"

"Maybe she's here to see if anyone will take that basket case of a brother she's got!" Melanie said with a laugh.

The last girl, Tawny, began mocking Robert's speech impediment. Sarah's face turned bright red as they teased her brother, and with her fist clenched she stepped closer.

Before she could make peace with her fist to their snotty faces, Bluey started to whir and kick. Sarah turned to her mare as she wriggled in her reins. The girls laughed as she raced back to the horse, hoping to settle her anxiety. Their laughter and mocking faded as they stepped into the store.

Sarah stood with Bluey, petting her mane and shushing her.

As she finally calmed, an ear-shattering crack vibrated the air. The world trembled and shook. The horses bucked and threw their heads aside. People raced into the streets, searching for whatever could've made such a noise.

"What was that?" They asked, their voices overlapping as they looked around in a daze.

Sarah, too, peered through the streets. Turing north, where everyone had begun staring, she noticed smoke rising from the wall. Stepping closer, peering through the sunlight to get a better look, she came to a haunting realization. Her blue eyes widened, and her face became pale. It couldn't be... it was impossible.

Staring down over the city, its fingers clutching across the width of the wall, was a titan.

Another rumble shook the earth, and dust rose from the outer gate. Debris, big as houses, were flung across the district. Rocks and ash fell from the sky. Explosions erupted as homes were crushed. Dust filled the streets as wall fragments landed all around. Sarah stumbled back as people ran, screaming in horror as the titan faded into a cloud of smoke.

Still, in a daze, Sarah tore her eyes from the wall. "Robert..." she said. "We have to—"

Breath caught in her throat when she turned to the market. Her body was numb and her mind far away as she became lost to her misery. Crumbling to her knees, she was empty, shredded. The chaos of the world fell quiet to the shattering of her heart as she gazed upon the remnants of the market crushed beneath a boulder. 

Thank you so much for reading chapter one! I truly hope you enjoyed it! If so, leave a comment and like! I'm very new to wattpad so any comments or suggestions are happily accepted! You keep reading, I'll keep writing

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Thank you so much for reading chapter one! I truly hope you enjoyed it! If so, leave a comment and like! I'm very new to wattpad so any comments or suggestions are happily accepted! 

You keep reading, I'll keep writing.
Lu

A Long Dreamजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें