Chapter 35 - The Wright Way

"How are you doing, Mr. Wright?"

The words pull me out of my TV-induced hypnosis. I turn around and see detective Cruz enter the room. Out of all the policemen, lawyers and journalists I've talked to during the day, she's been the most useful in terms of keeping me informed as to what was going on and what had to be done next. It also doesn't hurt that I've never heard her name at any of the Wrights' gatherings, so it's unlikely she's connected to the group.

Following her, Joshua walks in. I get up, both confused and relieved to see him. I expected they would continue keeping us separated. After the report had gone live and the hell had broken loose, we were questioned separately by the police, so I haven't seen him since morning. Ms. Cruz was nice enough to update me every now and then about where he was and what was going on with him, but it was quite clear they were intent on keeping us apart. I could understand that, but still felt uneasy. In the last few days, I got so used to keeping an eye on him that having him out of my sight felt wrong and dangerous.

"Enjoying the show?" Ms. Cruz places some papers onto the table and turns to look at the TV. The screen is dominated by the familiar aerial view of the farms. The building used for storing timber is still going up in flames, filling the already darkening evening sky with grey smoke. I catch a glimpse of a fire truck next to it. I wonder if it's our company there, Mike and Lagana and the others, or some other guys.

"I hope nobody gets hurt," I say.

That fear has been bouncing inside my head since morning. I didn't do what I did to hurt anyone.

Joshua walks over and puts his hand on my shoulder. I appreciate the silence and the physical contact—I wouldn't even mind a hug right now, that's how lost I feel—but I only cover his hand with mine and briefly squeeze back. The long interviews must have taken their toll on him, and he looks like he could use a nap. He smiles at me tiredly.

"Nobody will die unless they do something stupid," says Ms. Cruz. "There was nobody in the building they set on fire. Most of the people are still barricaded in the mansion. Don't worry, it's being handled with the upmost care. Nobody wants another Waco siege."

I nod, cringing inwardly at the parallel to the crazy sect that once barricaded themselves in and set their place on fire. Such comparisons abounded in the news today. Perhaps I should stop being so sensitive—even though the difference between the Wrights and infamous religious groups of the past is clear to me, they must all look the same to an outsider. The things I had told the press—and later the police—only made it worse. Now, them barricading in Uncle's mansion probably solidified the public opinion of them as a bunch of crazies.

The sinking feeling in my stomach returns. My actions may prevent some people from getting in trouble in the future, but they might have destroyed what's been a sanctuary and a home for many others. Was it worth it?

It doesn't matter now. I made a decision and there's no coming back. I only wish Uncle will see sense and start talking to the police instead of hiding in his mansion with the rest, including little children, making it look like a hostage situation.

"You did the right thing," says Joshua.

"Yeah, right," I say, and then wince as the screen suddenly gets invaded by the footage of my face. "Oh no, not again."

"Why, I think your closeups look good." His mouth curves in a half-smile. "And that is your chief-of-police relative?"

"Yeah," I say at the footage of Jeremiah Wright, the police commissioner, addressing my accusation in an urgent press conference he called two hours ago.

Despite being Uncle's cousin, they look nothing alike, and it seems he couldn't be any more eager to separate himself from our family right now. There's no sound, but I have seen the press-conference live with the lawyer that had been assigned to me, so I know exactly what he's saying—he's never protected the Wrights, he never had and never would try to influence investigations of any kinds, he always put his job before his family relations. He seems so sincere that even I feel half-convinced.

"Don't worry," says Ms. Cruz, and I become aware that he she's watching me—and Joshua, who still has a hand on my shoulder. Her brown eyes are calm and attentive, and I shift, making Joshua's hand slip off. Has she guessed that I and Joshua are more than friends?

Are we?

"You did fine," she says. "We've been looking into those cases against the Wrights for years, and there was never a proof, never an eyewitness, nothing. We needed an insider, someone willing to talk. Now we have you, and..." She gestures at the TV. "Things are moving, at last.".

The screen is showing the burning building again, which does little to improve my mood. So far, the results of my actions don't look too well.

"So." She claps her hands, looking around. "It's getting late, but I'm afraid we'll still need you close by until the situation on the farms is resolved. As for you..." She turns to Joshua who stands a little straighter, looking at her. "We're done with you for now, so you can have some rest. You can sleep in a cell—probably the safest option for you right now."

"A cell?" Joshua frowns." Like, in a jail?"

"It's for your own safety." She peers at him as if trying to pinpoint the source of his obvious reluctance. "You'll be there alone, of course. No other inmates. If you want, we can leave the door unlocked."

"I've never been to jail," he says. "Wouldn't want to start now."

"I see. Of course, we wouldn't want to cause you any more trauma than what you have already undergone, yet until the Wrights are arrested, we must keep an eye on you. Do you have a friend or a family member you can stay with? We could send an officer to watch over you for the night."

"He can stay in my apartment," I say, the thought of Joshua's friends not sitting well with me. "It's a small place, fourth floor, easy to guard."

"That could work." She hums thoughtfully. "We already have a couple of officers watching your building. We could add another person to guard the apartment's door. All things considered, neither of you should be alone tonight."