chapter 33 • jesus christ, what the fuck am i supposed to say to him

Start from the beginning

"i know i'm going to regret saying this, but, i can ask brenda." newt sighed. "she follows every pageant in texas. in fact, she was junior miss west southeast texas five years in a row."

"wow, that's impressive." pepper said.

"super cool." i nodded.

"especially since you can only enter three times. don't ask me how she did that." newt shook his head.

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

i stood in front of my mirror, looking around.

"ah, you look great!" my aunt cheered, clapping her hands.

"i know." i said sarcastically. "thank you.0

"let's go?" she asked, and i made my way over to the sign ups.

"hey, cherry!" bella said.

"hi." i smiled, standing next to her.

my aunt filled out my form, and i turned it in. bella and i ended up with the same problem.

"you put football as your talents. we have a list of approved talents, and football is hardly ladylike." the woman giggled.

"i'm gonna shove the bottom of my heel so far up your ass." i said, snatching up my form. "whatever. wrinkly bitch."

i sat in the audience later on, watching the contestants.

"and that's why i believe if every country would just stop fighting each other, we'll finally have world peace." the girl said.

the audience cheered.

"the question was who designed your dress. but wasn't that inspiring?" the host asked.

newt pulled me over from the crowd, and i snuck in backstage.

"what's up? cute outfit, bella." i complimented.

"a dozen half full water glasses? musical and optimistic! and now, for the dazzling baton work of bella.. and cherry?" the host asked, but quickly put a smile back on his face.

finally. my dream of being a sexy assistant.

"hey guys. my name is bella dawson, and i'm supposed to baton twirl for you today, but that's not who i am. this is." bella said, ripping of her cute outfit.

under it, was her football uniform.

newt threw her the football, and newts step mom brenda gasped in horror.

newt and i moved behind the judges, and held up different sizes of hula hoops.

bella threw the football through all the hula hoops, and we moved on to the next trick.

i put an apple on my head, closed my eyes, and bella used a ball to hit it off.

newt bright in a cake, and bella threw the football just barely above it, putting out the candle.

bella did a bow.

"miss dawson!" the wrinkly bitch from earlier yelled, her arms crossed. "i hope you enjoyed your little moment here, but we talked about this. we have rules to keep this pageant lady-like!"

"with all due respect-" bella started.

"-which is none at all." i interrupted.

"who are you to decide what's lady-like? just because i'm a football player doesn't make me less of a girl." bella scoffed.

"well, it does make you disqualified!" the woman said.

"i knew you would disqualify me, but i don't regret a thing." bella said.

"you! you put her up to this! you always ruin my young contestants." the woman stuck her old finger in my face.

"i'm gonna bite you." i said sarcastically.

she pulled her finger away, clutching her purse.

"we have forgotten what pageants are all about; showing your best self. well, these young ladies here just showed you their football slinging, silver boot-wearing, best selves. i'm sorry i didn't see that earlier." newts mom apologized to bella. "and you know what? i've decided i'm going to start my own pageant. where girls can be who they really are."

"well! good luck finding contestants." the woman said.

"i'm in! i hate musical glasses. i wanted to recite pi to a hundred digits!" a girl said.

"there you go, amanda jane!" bella smiled.

"and i want to play a guitar solo.. with my teeth." a girl said.

"i would love to see that in my new pageant! what do you say, girls? who's with me?" newts step-mom asked.

the woman hurried off.

"nice job, step-mom." newt elbowed her playfully.

"you called me mom!" newts step mom, brenda, said.

she wrapped her arms around him, smiling.

"i said step-"

"-mom! i know." she cheered.

newt hated his step mom a little less.

sawyer walked up to me as the old wrinkly bitch stormed out of the room.

"hey, you did good! you may not have won the sparkly tiara, but you're still a winner." sawyer teased.

"who said i didn't?" i asked, placing the crown i had stolen from the old lady on my head.

sawyer laughed, and i did too.

"will you be my girlfriend?" sawyer asked quickly, interrupting our laughter.

"what?" i asked.

"will you be my girlfriend?" he repeated.

jesus christ, what the fuck am i supposed to say to him?

"uh, sure." i said.

"i'll take it!" sawyer nodded, hugging me tightly.