· · ───────༻〄༺─────── · ·

"Won't remember", Josephine whispered underneath her breath, "Scorched."

The blonde woman left the screen, her voice echoing from the pictures presented, red tragedy portrayed in each painting of pure fear.

"Billions of lives lost to fire, famine, suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came afterwards was the worst. We called it the flare, a deadly virus that attacks the brain."

A man with black protruding veins was shown, gloved hands holding him down as his body, shaking, struggled against their grip.

"It is violent, unpredictable, incurable. Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to tested even sacrificed, inside harsh environments, where their brain activity could be studied.

"Sacrificed?", Jo questioned, her and Thomas's eyes meeting before planting themselves on the screen, yet again.

"All in an effort to understand what makes them different, what makes you different. You may not realize it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. As you will no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us, for me, but not for you. The outside worlds awaits."

The blond woman, so elegantly, brought the barrel of a silver gun to the temple of her head, "Remember, Wicked is Good," and soon her finger had pulled the trigger, the sound echoing throughout the chaotic lab as everyone's eyes looked away.

Josephine's, however, stayed and watched as the blast resulted in Dr. Paige's body slanting towards the side, her nerves shutting down as her brain no longer held the answers it needed to function.

Red was seen again.

"Remember. Don't. Won't. What's the game here?", Josephine whispered in thought as the screen flashed dark, Dr. Paige's dead body disappearing within the second.

Thomas looked over to the girl, he couldn't provide her with an answer, although, no one ever could. His body turned towards the back of the group, parting his way towards a dead body of one of the scientists that had been alert during the video.

Josephine stayed in thought as the group followed Thomas, the sound of a door opening causing heads to turn towards the new entrance, or exit.

"Is it over?", Chuck asked towards Josephine as she made her way towards the group.

"She said we were important", Newt spoke, adjusting his position as Josephine stood between him and Thomas, the dirty blond's eyes meeting Jo's, "What are we supposed to do now?"

Jo looked towards her side, a cold Thomas already awaiting her gaze, their eyes danced around the features on each of their faces, his eyes pausing briefly at the cut on her cheek he had been too distracted and slow to stop, before their eyes met again.

No answer could be found in their expressions.

"I don't know", Thomas truthfully answered, "Let's get out of here."

It felt as if this was what they all fought for.

The moment of freedom in which they wouldn't be confined into four walls of pure survival that would taunt them each night, filling them with nightmares during both sun and moon.

But Josephine did not feel a change, Josephine did not feel the moment in which a switch would flick, opening up a feeling of difference.

Josephine now knew the answer to Chuck's question.