Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

Odin tilted his head back. "Revenge would solve nothing, but it would put my anger to rest."

"I thought the same thing, but now, I'm not so sure that's true. Anger is what got Loki killed. Thanos' anger. I don't want to be like him. I don't want to set that kind of example for Selig. Or any of them. Loki wouldn't want any of us consumed by hate. He almost was and he knew how destructive it could be."

She glanced over at Odin, who looked even older and far wearier. Without thinking, she reached out to touch his leather-clad knee. "He was very wise, far more so than I think anyone ever gave him credit for."

Odin's hand came down atop hers. "I wish I could think the way you do, McKenna. I want only for Thor to destroy Thanos."

"And then someone else takes his place. It will never end, Allfather. It will feed off itself until it has devoured all nine realms." She leaned back against the steps and shook her head. "And I don't want to leave that sort of world for my children. For Loki's children. They deserve more. They deserve for him to not have died in vain."

Odin sighed softly. "Loki did not die in vain. We will see to that."

"Good. So call Thor home. Before it's too late."

***

In the dining hall, McKenna guided Selig and Aislinn to their seats at the raised dais, where she tried so hard not to notice Loki's empty chair. This was the first time she'd come to dinner with the others since Loki's death, preferring to take her meals with the children in the nursery.

But she felt it important for Selig and Aislinn to resume their usual activities and that meant facing that empty chair. Selig gave it a long look, but said nothing, while Aislinn clung to McKenna. She'd done that more and more since the funeral and both children had taken up the habit of crawling into bed with her during the night. She awoke every morning to find them there, and although she understood why, she was at a loss as to how to get them to stay in their beds.

When the meal was over, Fandral and Volstagg approached. "Good evening, Princess," Fandral said, no trace of his usual playfulness in his voice. "How do you fare?"

"I'm okay, Fandral. You?" She pushed Aislinn's sippy cup a little closer. The toddler grabbed it and began sipping the chocolate milk.

"I'm fine, Your Highness. We were wondering if, when the children go to bed, you would like to join us for a game of cards and a drink?"

She shook her head. "Thank you-both of you-but I think I'm going to put them to bed and then put myself to bed." And most likely reread Loki's letter, which was tucked beneath her pillow.

"It would do you some good to laugh a while, Highness."

She shook her head at Volstagg. "Not tonight. I'm not ready to laugh yet."

Hogun and Sif wandered over to them and Aislinn smiled. "Sif!"

"Good evening, little bit," Sif replied with a warm smile as she came around to kiss the top of Aislinn's head. "So, are they wearing you down yet, Your Highness?"

"They're trying, but it isn't going to happen. Not tonight." She rose from her chair and scooped Aislinn from her booster. Holding her hand out to Selig, she said, "We need to get you to bed, loves. Fandral, Volstagg, I thank you for the invitation. Maybe tomorrow."

For a moment, she thought they were going to argue with her, but not one did. Instead, they all bobbed their heads. "Of course. Good evening, Your Highness."