one.

"ms hopper." max sits down besides her at a table in the library which causes her to jump. "don't say ms hopper like that!" she scolds with a laugh.

max let's out a giggle, "how are you today?"

"i'm great.... why?"

"just curious." max smiles then looks down at the paper she was writing on, "you're writing a song! oh my god, show me!"

el pulls back the paper, "no." she mumbles and places it into a file then back into her bag, "it's a secret."

"why!?"

"because!" she exclaims as dustin comes to sit besides them, "hello ladies, what is the chitty chatty topic today?"

"el's writing a song and she won't tell us it." max frowns which causes el to shoot her an apologetic smile.

"seriously? you're finally done just singing covers?" dustin asks as el shrugs, "i like singing covers. and perhaps, i might not be great at writing songs."

"shut up, you're amazing." max shoots her a smile as el nods, "well, i have to get to the music room because i need to finish a project of my own."

"aw, you're ditching us?" dustin pouts as el smiles with a quiet laugh, "you guys can come with me."

"and sit there like idiots?" max questions as el nods, "yes."

"i'm kidding! you're there to give me feedback." el says, "now come on! i have an idea!" she sways on her feet as they both stand up.

max holds el's hand which causes el to turn to her, "i am not a baby."

"blah blah," max mocks which causes el to make a face before bursting into laughter.

"oh my god! is that a new bracelet!" dustin grabs her wrist but carefully as el nods, "isn't it pretty? i saw it at the mall."

he gently holds her hand, careful not to hurt her, "it's so pretty!" he then sets her hand down with a smile.

"i know. i bought it because of it."

• • •

"amarah." mike warns at his daughter then exhales, "mom! i don't have time for this! i have a meeting!"

"michael, you can't just leave your daughter."

"well, she won't listen." mike exhales, "amarah, what in the world is wrong?"

"i wanna go with you!" she whines as mike picks her up into his arms, "darling, daddy has to work. he has a meeting."

"can i go?"

"just let the poor kid go." karen walks downstairs, "you're rarely around her, michael. she already doesn't have a mother."

"that's because the mother left." he says as karen raises her eyebrows at him. "what?" he asks as she shrugs and hands amarah's bag to him.

"okay listen babe," mike says and heads for the door, "you gotta be quiet at all times or you're not coming with daddy again. yes?"

"yes."

"good." he swipes his thumb under her chin, "i'll take you for ice cream later." he promises and walks out of the house with a wave at his mother before walking to his car.

"can you buckle up, love?" he places her into her car seat as she buckles up happily, "daddy, i want toys."

"no, you don't." mike shakes his head and laughs.