Chapter Ten: Joanie, Wednesday

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, once I'm cleared. I'm also studying for the detective exams."

"Oh, good for you! I hope you get it."

"Thanks very much."

He nodded and actually blushed a little. Her determination not to be interested in this man wavered a little.

He said, "If we ever get paired up, I'd love to hear more about the Battle of Barnet, as they're calling it, from your perspective."

"You'd want to share a car with me? What about al-Rashad?"

He shrugged. "Oh, she's nice and all, and we can relate to each other because we both speak French, but... well, I can tell she's interested in me, and I don't want to encourage her, at least not now, because... you know, I'm still married, at least until the divorce papers go through and, honestly, I still love my wife, regardless of what happened."

"Oh." She was confused now. Did that mean he wasn't expecting any interest from her? She was probably a few years older than him, but hardly enough to matter. Then again, men tended not to date older women, it was usually the opposite. She decided to play it safe and said, "Whereas you and I would be the model of professional relations, aside from your blatant hero worship?"

He burst out laughing and said, "Ah, you're probably right. Maybe we wouldn't be a good fit, either."

She smiled. "Well, it's up to the watch captain to make assignments, so I guess we'll have to see."

He smiled and gave her an another unnecessary salute. "See you around, Sergeant."

Joanie watched him go, feeling a mixture of emotions: attraction, as inconvenient as that was, but also wariness. Something about that conversation didn't sit right with her. Constable Marinville was a large and powerful man, and most likely dangerous if provoked. She saw how his face darkened when he mentioned his wife; he might have claimed he still loved her, but most crimes men committed against women resulted from love gone bad, and if there were kids involved, then that only added fuel to the fire, especially if he thought his wife was keeping him from seeing his kids. That made her wonder why, and wondering made her circle back to the fact that he was a large and powerful man. Was abuse in the picture, of wife and/or kids?

She went back to work, resolving to keep an eye on Constable Marinville. She might not be able to look him up in the system in case he had an arrest record; that was illegal and against procedure. Besides, if he was arrested, he wouldn't be working. Any complaints, and he'd be on leave at the very least. No, she'd have to find her information some other way. Ask Fatima? Maybe, but not now; Fatima might think she was jealous, and if she told him Joanie was asking about him so soon after this conversation, he might get the wrong idea.

She thought about it until she clocked out, and as she was changing back into her civilian clothes, it came to her that she should ask her sister in arms. Lauren might have ways of finding things out that wouldn't raise the same suspicion as her ways would.

As she drove home, she called her on speakerphone with the phone on its hands-free device. 

"Hey, girl," Lauren said, surprised. "I didn't expect to hear from you until after Sunday."

"You mean post transaction?"

She burst out laughing and said, "You know he finally fucked me two nights ago?"

"Well, well, you must be happy."

"I couldn't let him have you until he had me first, injury or no injury. We have a lot of catching up to do."

"How did you manage without hurting your neck?"

"Slowly and carefully."

Joanie chuckled. "Well done."