2 - What A Scientist Can Do [1 - Encounter]

.
.
.

"Time to wake up, sunshine!"

As I faintly opened my eyes, I could see black and short hair tied into a ponytail, a big smile and enthusiastic eyes. Cleo.

"Let me sleep for a few more minutes..." I told her as I turned around and faced my had the other way.

"Huh, and I thought scientists were morning people." She said as she sat on a box.

"How old are you?" I asked her.

"Seventeen."

"No wonder you don't know anything about scientists." I yawned as I tried to go back to sleep.

"And how old are you?"

"One year older than you."

"Come on, get up." She said as she pulled me out of bed.

"Fine, fine..." I groaned as I sat up.

She sat beside me, dropping random things on the floor.

"What's this for?" I asked in pure confusion, picking up one of the clips she dropped.

"Make me something." She smiled.

It was silent as I kept staring at her, wondering if she actually meant that she wanted me to make something out of these.

"You're joking, right?" I asked her.

"Nope! I'm serious, make me something out of paper clips, metal scraps, wood and nails." She pointed to each of the materials.

So she wasn't joking?!

"You don't expect me to make something out of these junk, right?" I smiled sheepishly. She really doesn't know anything about scientists.

"Come on, aren't scientists creative? They can make anything out of... Anything!" She smiled innocently.

She's kind and all, but I can't make anything out of these.

"I'll make you something, but not out of these." I offered.

"Name it."

I thought for a while, what could be something I could make that would be useful in a time like this? Or should I just make something completely random?

I looked around, scanning every place for anything that strikes my fancy, or inspired me to make something, when I remembered yesterday.

————

"Hang on, I'm reloading—!"

It was clear that the bullet didn't even harm or leave a dent on the metal that the cyborg had, so I stood up to help her and distract it.

"Hey! Metal head! Take this!"

————

"Am I that good at being bait...?" I mumbled to myself unconsciously.

"What?" Cleo asked me, not hearing what I said but heard my voice.

"N-Nothing. I thought of what I'll make." I smiled.

"So? Tell me what you need!" She enthusiastically asked me, coming closer.

"A-A few bullets... And a chest plate made out of the metal that is used by cyborgs..." I nervously said. Her smile faded after the last part.

"You barely survived an attack from it yesterday, now you want to look for another one all for the metal on its chest?" She asked me in surprise. "What are you gonna make anyways? We have a lot of metal here-"