Come Through

JayCee

My alarm began to blare as it always had for the last six years. At 4:am on weekdays and every other Saturday. I groaned before reaching for my phone and shutting it off just before Shawty began to stare. I never understood why he'd spend the night on nights he knew I had to work in the morning. Only to complain when my alarm would wake him.

I rolled my eyes before placing my legs over the side of the bed and sitting up. Scratching my head as I placed my feet into my slippers. I tugged at my boy shorts as I made my way to the bathroom. Standing in front of the mirror for a moment before taking a deep breath and turning on the shower head.

It had been a long weekend. I knew the eviction moratorium was ending but for some reason or another decided to hold on to what little faith I had left in the Duvall's. So much for faith.

I decided to head out to the living room to check on KayDee. And as expected her head of curls could barely be made out from just beneath her favorite Princess Tiana blanket. I smiled to myself before heading over to the couch to place a kiss on the top of her head. Just soft enough not to wake her. She was grumpier than Shawty when awakened from a deep sleep.

I returned to the bathroom and  undressed. Stepping into the scolding hot water as if it were room temperature. I hummed as I washed myself and my hair. Dreading the day I had before me. For it would be a tough one.

If I never understood the phrase "When it rains, it pours." before, I did now.

I was 25 years old. My little sister KayDee was 7. And I think I adored her almost as much as she adored me.

My mother had me young. We practically grew up together. And with that being said we had the relationship of two sisters as opposed to a normal mother and daughter one.

My mother was so busy making her own mistakes that she never had time to worry about mine. And over the years our relationship became strained.

I felt like I practically raised myself. While she tried to reclaim what was left of her youth. And for that I resented her.

I left the home we shared young. Got into a shit load of trouble before I eventually straightened myself out. Took up a trade and made a way for myself. And had been doing so ever since.

Now I wasn't making the best money but at least it was honest. And I didn't have much to my name but at least it was mine. Wasn't shit nobody could say to take that away.

I hadn't spoken to my mother in years. Then boom. I find out she's pregnant. And at first that news made me sad. Then protective immediately after.

I didn't want another kid to go through the same things I had. Granted my mother was older at this point. But unfortunately in some cases maturity didn't come with age.

I knew she had been running behind some man who was promising her the world. And just as I suspected he disappeared when it was time to show up.

My mother was devastated. Almost suicidal. But I was right there. For her like she never had been for me. Not for her sake, but for my little sister KayDee.

Over time we let our issues rest. Not because we had dealt with them but because we had someone depending on us both to be bigger than our issues. KayDee.

Over time my mother got better. More responsible. She had a decent job. An apartment. A vehicle. And a lot of dreams.

She'd tell me all the time how this time she didn't want to fuck it up. So she spoiled KayDee beyond her means. As did I. Sent her to one of the best schools in our city. A well renowned  private school with a hefty tuition.