Chapter 28

Emma bit her lip nervously as she was guided to a private training area outside, separate from the main training area. She stood by the door awkwardly while she waited for Rabbit to beckon her forward. Rabbit turned around to see her standing there, "There you are. Come forward." Emma smiled softly, happy to know how patient and kind she was or at least presented herself to be. Emma stepped out of the doorway and walked towards her, taking in the space and how large it was.

Emma bit her lip anxiously and asked, "So... um... W-What do you plan to teach me?" She looked down at the ground as she absentmindedly twisted her ring around her finger. Rabbit giggled at her, which made her look up at the demon worriedly, Did I say something funny?

"You don't need to be so nervous around me." She says, smiling at Emma softly.

"I-I know," Emma stutters out softly, "But I, um, just don't do very well when it comes to meeting new people..."

"That's fine, I just don't want it to hinder your training." She explains softly.

"I-It won't." Emma states, Probably.

"Anyways, I plan to teach you how to properly defend yourself. To do that, I need to see what you can do with your spirit."

Emma nodded and stood at attention, ready for her first lesson. Rabbit nodded back to the blonde before stepping back and pointing her staff at the ground between them. The orb on her staff began to glow a bright blue color as a large wisp snaked out from it into the air. Emma watched in awe as it took shape from being a simple cloud of magical smoke to being a large misty bear. The bear roared and the apprentice of Hecate instantly jumped back, scared by the loud sound. Rabbit brought her staff back to her side as the bear got on to all four of its paws, growling in Emma's direction, "This is an animal guardian, a personification of your inner strength and power. Once summoned, it will protect you with their life."

Emma stared at the bear before her, watching it peer into her soul with its pure white eyes and pant in anger. She tensed up and tried to keep herself from appearing afraid of the large creature. Rabbit placed her hand on her chest and nodded to the blonde, "Focus on your spirit. Feel it try to take shape and release it."

Emma looked down at her chest before closing her eyes. Before she even attempted to summon her animal guardian, she had to calm down and squash any remaining fear or anxiety. Emma took a few deep breaths, feeling her body relax and her mind clear, and she laid her hand over her heart. As she stood there, she could feel energy flow within her body, ebbing and weaving through her veins like a bloodstream. It felt incredibly odd to feel such sensations, but she continued to focus on her soul, trying to do as Rabbit asked.

At last, Emma latched onto a strange feeling in her chest, growing larger and larger with each breath she took. Soon, it became unbearable to keep it inside. She held her hand out, feeling it want to be released, and watched in shock as a white and lavender mist jutted out of her palm and landed on the floor, revealing a wolf who seemed to be as big as the bear, if not bigger. Despite its form being gaseous and ethereal, the fur that covered its body was glimmering in lavender while its claws, bared teeth, and eyes were a pure white, compared to the bluish-white of the bear.

The wolf let out a series of loud barks followed by a low growl in reply to the sight of the bear, standing proud and ready to attack at her command. Rabbit seemed surprised as well, gripping her staff in instinctual fear before inhaling deeply and taking in the sight of Emma's animal guardian, "Very good. Your spirit is strong." Emma smiled, happy to know that the size signified her power. She was shocked that she was able to match Rabbit's guardian, but the thought went away as Rabbit pointed her staff at Emma, "Attack!" Upon her command, the bear reared back on its hind legs, and let out a large roar before charging at the blonde's guardian. Emma quickly followed suit, commanding her animal guardian to attack Rabbit's.