Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

            Andrea almost threw her phone away, but she knew that would only make the situation worse. She walked around her smoking car, holding her cell-phone up to try and get some reception to get a tow truck. So far she was getting no bars and it was making her frustrated. She ran a hand threw her hair. She was about two miles back from the diner. She could keep walking there and use their landline.

            Andrea went into her vehicle that had thankfully stopped smoking but she was sure it wouldn’t work and she didn’t particularly want to test that out. She grabbed her purse and opened the trunk to get her flashlight so people could see her on the road and she could see the road. And she grabbed her pepper spray, just in case.

            She sighed before shutting the door and locking it before she put her keys in her pocket. She turned and began to walk back towards the diner. She hoped that it wouldn’t take too long. Andrea hated the dark. It was childish and it was an embarrassment that she had, a grown woman scared of the dark like a five year old. The flashlight that she had was very large to give out a lot of light and it was slightly heavy, but she wouldn’t want to go without it. Not for a second.

            She tried to hum to herself to calm down her nerves as she looked around, using the flashlight as a guide even though most of the streetlamp lights were working and they were on.

            She felt her heels clicking against the pavement and she made a mental note to buy more flat shoes.

            About a mile down the road, she heard the sound of motorcycles. She gulped, but also for whatever reason felt comforted. She knew one man who rode motorcycles, but she knew that he could not be there and there was definitely a group of bikes coming down the road, going towards her. She just hoped that they would either go past her and not bother her or would help her.

            Call it stereotyping, but she was wary of men on motorcycles.

            Soon enough, the echoes turned into headlights and although they were far down the road, she knew they would come up to her sooner or later. She took in a deep breath, still walking as she saw them almost clearly in the headlights. Perhaps they saw her or the flashlight, but they slowed down a bit when seeing her. Her heart began pumping in her chest. Would they help her or attack her?

            She stopped below a streetlight and the bikes slowed down to a stop. She stopped a bit as well, getting prepared if she needed her fight or flight response. She saw in the light one look over at her and she almost smiled when she saw him.

            “What are you doing out here Andrea?” Happy asked her, the gruff and rough voice was almost heavenly and it helped to calm her heart rate.

            “You know her?” another man asked. She looked over at him and saw the next guy on the bike wearing a helmet but she could see the large mat of curly black hair sprouting out of it like an overcrowded weed garden.

            Happy looked over her shoulder at him and nodded. In the dark she could see a heavier set man and she could see the scars on his cheeks. A Glasgow Smile. She knew about that in her work. Andrea looked at Happy and she answered him, “my car was on fire and smoking. Couldn’t get reception so I thought of walking back to the diner.”

            Happy told her, “that wasn’t a good idea. These streets aren’t safe in a car.”

            “I couldn’t stay there.” Andrea answered him.