Dog days are over

Start from the beginning

"I don't want it to be like that again, Austin. It was toxic. But I am not quite sure how to do this. I don't know what you need," she says.
Austin runs his thumb over her knuckles. He pulls the truck in front of a clothing store and turns the engine off, turning to face Marli. "It will never be like it was. I don't know how to do this either, fuck, I didn't know how to do life. But I have been learning. Giving it my all. I don't need anything from you except for you to be who you want to be, unapologetically. I am not prepared to promise it will be easy and carefree or that I won't relapse. What I am prepared to promise though is that I am so scared of relapsing that I work on staying clean every day and that I will never take advantage of your beautiful heart again. I will spend the rest of my fucking life making up it up to you," he explains. Marli is fucking crying. What the fuck type of speech was that? Damit. Austin leans forward and gives her a peck on the cheek
"OK?" Austin asks. "Ok," Marli manages to squeak out. Austin gives her his best smile. "Right! Hop down from this very manly vehicle that I bought because I am a very manly man and let's go into this cute little Gucci store and get our shopping on," he says. Marli rolls her eyes.

~

Coming out of the Gucci store Marli sees about twenty people waiting for Austin outside. He stops to talk to them, taking photos and signing some stuff. The shop assistants are packing the clothing in the back seat of the truck so Marli pops into a little coffee shop and gets lunch and coffee for her and Austin. When she comes back out there are even more people and Austin is still talking with them but is looking around a little anxiously then he catches sight of Marli and signals with his head for her to get into the truck. She does and Austin follows shortly after. "It's easy to forget how well-known you are sometimes," Marli says. Austin smiles. "I know it's cliché to say, all them singers say it. But honestly, I feel so humbled that they still support me. They asked me now about you by the way," he says. Marli looks at him with wide eyes "Me? What did they want to know?" she asks. Austin smiles and breaks off a piece of the pastry Marli has in her hand. "They wanted to know if you were my girlfriend," he says. Marli shoves the rest of the pastry into her mouth to stop Austin from stealing the rest, it is absolutely not to avoid asking Austin if she is his girlfriend. Austin sniggers. "I said yes by the way." Marli narrowly escapes dying from choking on the pastry.

"Austin, can I ask you a question? Well one question and one statement," Marli asks. Austin nods. "Shoot," he says taking a sip of his coffee. "I will start with the statement. I am not your girlfriend. You have not asked me yet, don't just assume things, Mr. Post," she says. Austin nods his head and pretends to keep a serious face. "What do I have to do to get you to be my girlfriend?" he asks. Marli shrugs, "I don't know, but I would like it to be romantic. I need to be wooed," she says. Austin snorts and shakes his head. "What was your question?" he asks. Marli smiles. "My question, you hid our relationship from the public in the past why?" she asks. Austin bites his bottom lip and then says, "my mother. She was always trying to find a way to hurt me with. Exposing me to the world would have been enjoyable for her but would have stopped her cash flow, if she knew I had fallen in love she would have come after you and hurt you in some way. I pretended like you meant nothing in public so she would not catch wind of us. Of you," he explains. Marli nods, she remembers what he said to his mother outside the LA mansion on her birthday. "Why be public about me now? She done with trying to get you?" Mark asks. Austin snorts through his nose and shakes his head. "The old hag dug her own grave. She stiffed some drug dealers and stole some bad meth laced with some weird shit, it left her pretty damaged. She is bedridden, can't talk, and needs round-the-clock care. I pay for her care in a frail home. My sister visits her, I don't," he says.

It's a sad situation and Marli would never wish harm on anyone, but as they say, you reap what you sow. "So you and your sister are good? Tara is her name right?" Mark asks. Austin smiles wide. "Yeah, Tara. We are at a really good place. I bought her a house near ours and a flower shop in town. We have been able to build a good relationship. She is still skittish and shy. But very sweet. You will love her," Austin says and Marli can see the pride on his face at having a good relationship with his sister again. They pull up to a little cottage-looking house with a big garden and tons of flowers in the front yard. Marli thinks it looks like one of those sweet oil paintings of flower cottages in British B&Bs. She half expects a little old lady to walk out the front door. She climbs down from the truck a little nervous about meeting Tara and also getting the dogs, her dogs. She had missed them terribly. Austin comes round to her side and takes her hand in his then leads her up to the front door. There is a soft blue sign with white writing and pretty flowers painted on it hung up above the door that reads, 'Welcome, free hugs beyond this point', there is also a second brown wooden sign with playful white writing just below the doorbell that reads, 'Doorbell is broken yell DING-DONG really loud'. Austin pushes the doorbell and the chimes sing inside the house setting off a bunch of barking. Marli recognizes the barking and it makes her heart beat a little faster.

She can hear soft feet pattering towards the door then it swings open to reveal a young girl about five years old - she is the girl from the photos in the cave. She really looks like Austin, brown curly hair, lovely bright blue eyes, and plump pink lips. Her eyes light up and she jumps into Austin's outstretched arms. "Uncle Austin!!" she giggles as he cuddles her. "Hello, little one. I want you to meet someone. This is-" Austin starts but is cut off by the little girl squealing, "THE MERMAID!!! I told mommy you were real!!" she says. Austin and Marli share confused looks. "What are you talking about Ella pop?" Austin asks. The little girl, Ella, rolls her eyes at her uncle. "The picture in your bedroom uncle Austin. You and the mermaid under the sea!" she says. Austin starts laughing, Ella does too although it looks like she is not sure why they are laughing. "Why don't you ask the mermaid what her name is Ella pop," Austin says when he has calmed down somewhat. But then his sister, Tara appears in the doorway. "Oh My goodness. Marli. What a great surprise! Oh, come in, please. Oh, hugs. Can I hug you? No, you don't want that. You don't even know me. I ju-" Tara rambles on but is cut off when Marli pulls her in for a hug. She softly rubs Tara's back and Tara buries her head in Marli's neck. The house goes quiet in solidarity of the two women.

"It's good to finally meet you, Tara...officially," Marli says softly into her ear. Tara pulls out of the hug, nodding her head as she looks at Marli with watery eyes. She sniffles a little and smiles. "Come on I think your dogs have waited for enough," she says. Ella wriggles out of her uncle's arms and grabs Marli's hand. "Come on I will show you them. They are the biggest dogs in the entire world. Bigger than me even! Except for Willadeene, she is just fat," Ella says as she pulls Marli to the back door and then pushes open the sliding door. All three dogs, Otis, Colt, and Willadeene are sitting on the porch looking at her. It takes a few seconds before the penny drops and then all hell breaks lose. Colt starts jumping around like he has springs attached to his feet and wagging his tail so hard that his body practically folds over, he bumps three of Tara's pot plants off their stands in his excitement. Willadeene saunters up and plops herself on Marli's feet rolling over onto her back grunting and asking for belly rubs. Otis takes the longest to register, he is the oldest after all, and Marli can see a few grey hairs on his snout starting to appear. The breeze must carry her sent to his nose because as if suddenly bitten he suddenly stands up and rushes over to Marli jumping on his hind legs and then thumping his front legs on her shoulders the force knocks Marli backward but lucky Austin is standing behind her and she falls into his chest.

"Otis, calm down you fucking giant," Austin says while Otis gives Marli a lick on her cheek. There is a gasp to the side and when she looks over she sees Ella is standing with her hands on her hips looking angrily at Austin. "Uncle Austin, you can't say that word! You get a frown face on the board now!" she says. Austin bows his head and follows Ella to the kitchen. Intrigued Marli follows with Tara and the three dogs close on her heels. Ella and Austin are standing in front of a wall where a large chart is pinned to the wall. Ella, Mom, Austin, Jonas, Liz, Nathan, Max, and Jack are all written across the top. Nathan has one upside-down smiley face under his name, Ella has none, mom has four, Austin has twenty-four, Jonas also has twenty-four, Liz has two, Max has none and Jack has ten. Ella gets a smiley face out of the box in the cabinet under the chart she then reaches her arms out for Austin to pick her up she then sticks the smiley face upside-down under Austin's name.

He then helps her count and when she counts to twenty-five she squeals and claps her hands "You are at another five uncle Austin! We get another card. Put me down, Sir!" she says. Marli looks at Tara in confusion. She chuckles. "It's a swear chart. Ella polices everyone relentlessly. Get to 100 and you have to take us all to Disney World. You get one sticker per swear word and every fifth one gets a card with an activity you got to plan for the rest of us," Tara says. Ella is pulling a box out from the cabinet now. "Yeah, and uncle Austin has to take us to lots of places. He swears a lot. Uncle Jonas bet mom that Uncle Austin is the one who takes us to Disney world!" Ella says excitedly. Austin takes the box from Ella mumbling under his breath about traitors and true friends. He closes his eyes and starts scratching around in the box then pulls out a piece of paper. He looks at it and then holds it out for Ella to read.

"Oh my gosh uncle Austin that's a very long word," she says. Austin puts the box down on the counter and then bends down. "You can do it Ella pop. Use your sounds, come on," Austin says then helps Ella break the word down and sound it out. "Cowabunga?" Ella says frowning. Austin nods his face delighted with her achievement. "But what is Cowabanga?" She asks and Austin leans over and whispers in her ear. "WATERPARK!! Yes! We are going to a water park!!" Ella screeches and starts jumping around, all three dogs join in with the excitement.

Tara offers for them to stay for dinner but Austin declines explaining he has something planned but that the girls must come up to the house for a BBQ tomorrow at 2 pm. They say their goodbyes and head home with the three dogs.