chapter 21 • i bumped straight into sawyer's chest

Start from the beginning

bicon.

"imagine? everyone's always wanted me," i said.

"uh, bella, cherry, can i speak to you guys for a moment?" coach asked.

"sure coach! what's up?" bella asked.

i walked into the office, sitting on the chair.

"i just received this letter from the county athletic board. mack sculls dusted off some old rule books and brought this to their attention." coach said, handing us a piece of paper.

"we hereby inform you that silverado west is in violation of county rule 146-b. all middle school football teams should be compromised of not less than 12 boys, no more than 18 boys." i readout.

"and because neither of you are boys-" coach started.

"this is so stupid!" i interrupted, crumpling the paper ball and throwing it into the trash can.

"we can't play?" bella asked, trying her best to keep calm.

"i'm afraid so. i called the athletic board. uh, it's a technicality. but because no one's ever updated the rule, they have to enforce it." coach frowned.

"but no one even knew this stupid rule existed!" bella stood up.

"no one but mack scully. he's one of those misogynists who believe in boys on the football field and girls in the kitchen." coach said.

"i'm gonna cut his balls off!" i complained, pushing open his door.

"let's not tell the boys yet." coach said, and bella and i agreed.

i bumped straight into sawyer's chest.

"okay, that's not how i wanted to get a mouthful of titty," i backed up.

"you guys were listening?" bella asked, turning around.

"no!" troy lied. "we were eavesdropping."

i laughed for a few straight minutes, even though it wasn't that funny.

"that's city talk for we were spyin' on you." sawyer said.

i stared at him. "i know."

"look, this situation stinks and we wanna help." troy said.

"it says here that we have to get five thousand adult signatures for them to hold a hearing about changing the rule." coach read out from his computer.

"five thousand? that's like the entire population of silverado." troy complained.

"but if we work together, we can do it." bella encouraged.

"great, i'll contact the board and let 'em know we're gonna fight this. bella, cherry, you write up a petition. troy, sawyer, you and the guys get the word out." coach instructed.

bella and i walked around with our petition.

bella was easy to ignore, and pushover.