• CHAPTER 9 •

•|Mission|•

|• Personalities in the Dark •|

Stars aligned the black sky, but its light was too dim. They weren't bright enough to lighten the road in front of Gon.

The straight road was smooth, and its asphalt allowed the huge truck to roll easily. 

Gon couldn't wait for his next stop, so he could check on Killua although it's late to call him. His heart always burns when he's on the go while his husband and child are all alone in that huge apartment.

He wanted to daydream about them longer, to sleep his nights instead of spending them on the road. So, he envied A, who was snoring aloud.

It was the only sound that disrupted the silence,

And shuffled Gon's heartbeats irritatingly. 

"Mmh." A shifted his position, groaning thickly for a moment. 

Goodness, Gon thought, he's annoying. 

"Are we there yet?" A blurted hoarsely and dug his thick hairy and tan hand into his brown long and messy hair.

Just when he raised his buffy arm, a nasty smell swirled around Gon's sharp nose. He almost choked. "Remind me, why are you sitting on the passenger seat again?"

A opened one eye to look at Gon. His lips pursed and he closed his eyes back while resting his head on the closed window. "Why you askin'? Feelin' annoyed because I wanted to give ye some company?"

Gon furrowed his brows and only focused on the road. He could feel his teeth breaking his gum. "I thought you have to stay with the… stuff."

A snickered. "Why, yes. Stuff. I'll go back in at our next stop." 

Gon gave a slight nod.

"Jus' don' sleep in while riding." He fixed his position to sit properly. "By the way, how's yer husband and son? Are they doing okay?"

Gon's throat dried up. His hands tightened over the wheel, and he looked at his white knuckles under the tiny lamp over their heads. He only could imagine those knuckles breaking A's skull for mentioning his family.

"Why's the hard look, man? I'm jus' askin' 'bout my friend's fam!" His voice… It's full of amusement. Gon isn't sure if he likes teasing him because he's having fun, or regularly reminding him that he's a threat.

He wanted to scream his thoughts out, to threaten him if he ever mentions his family again, he'll kill him. But he can't say that.

He's a coward.

And a sucker for obeying the law.

He just glared, which strengthened and broadened the grin on A's fairly hairy face. 

"Don' be mad, man. I won' mention them again, ok?" He lowly sickered, looking at the long and endless dark road in front of them, "it's jus'… I couldn't erase yer husband's voice from my head."

"Stop." Gon mumbled. His hands squeezed the wheel, he almost feared he'd break it. "You have no right…"

"Yea? No right to talk 'bout your fam?"

"Exactly." Gon glared at the road in front of him. Where is the fucking stop? When will he stop?

He's a driver who's not allowed to know when he has to stop.

This job sucks.

"Alright, man. I'll stop teasin' yeh. Two meters to yer left, can yeh?" Tiredly, he directed him.