chapter 20 • was complete proof that i felt nothing for him

Beginne am Anfang

i turned around, staring at sawyers clean and organized locker.

"what the hell?" i said.

sawyer would hate this.

sawyer walked out, proceeding to get into an argument with pepper about his new, clean locker.

"i thought you liked me for who i am! but apparently, i'm just too messy." sawyer said sarcastically.

"maybe you are." pepper said.

"you know what? instead of being on a break, i think we should just break up." sawyer said.

"i think so too." pepper agreed.

sawyer stomped away, and i followed after him.

"why did i do that?" sawyer asked, his hands in his face.

sawyer missed her already.

"because you felt it was the right thing to do." i shrugged. "gross, that was sappy."

sawyer stared up at me.

"cherry, i-" he started.

"i'm really glad to have you as a friend." he smiled.

"same." i said awkwardly.

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

i stood next to bella, going through with the plan we made. bella, to apologize, and me to prove i wasn't trying to come between pepper and sawyer.

"i did the roast last week and what was supposed to be all in good fun, set off a chain reaction that messed everybody up." bella said.

"guys, listen. i know i'm not supposed to feel bad about roasting you, but i do. because all it did was lead to trouble. so we're going to do the opposite. this is the anti-roast. i'm gonna spend the next hour complimenting you all." bella said.

"i'll start. bella's so cheap, she won't let us order off the right side of the menu." coach said.

"coach, this is an anti-roast! you're supposed to be nice." bella reminded.

"i know." coach said.

"okay, i'll start with troy. he's a natural leader." bella walked over to him.

"what? no, i'm not. if i've learned anything this week, it's that you guys are better off without me." troy frowned.

"troy, that's crazy talk." sawyer encouraged.

"you like it better when ricky and luis choose what we do after school. and coach thinks quiet chris, who hasn't said a word all season, should make the team speeches!" troy sat down in the chair.

"but we only made that choice because you told us to pick." ricky said.

"yeah, you're our leader." luis agreed.

"i thought you were going to let quiet chris address the team to help him get out of his shell." coach said.

"which, you did!" chris burst out of a corner.

"yeah, i am a good leader! keep the compliments coming, bella." troy smirked.

"let's talk sawyer. at the last roast, i focused on sawyer being messy. i talked about how he could never throw anything out, and just shoved it all in his locker. but i found out that it wasn't just junk." bella said.

i grabbed sawyers arm, leading him to pepper.

"those movie tickets and restaurant receipts were actually mementoes of every time you guys hung out." bella explained.

i gave her a smile.

"is that true?" pepper asked.

"yeah, that lucky sandwich was left over from our first date. i never wanted to throw it out. i also wanted to finish eatin' it." sawyer explained.

pepper and sawyer made up in a corner, getting back together.

bella spent the next hour complimenting the rest of the team.

"thank you, bella." pepper squealed.

"don't thank me. cherry planned all of this." bella gave me a smile.

"oh. thank you, cherry." pepper said, proceeding to apologize.

sawyer gave me a smile.

he seemed to be looking at me in my entirety.

my red hair laying on my shoulders, pearl necklace sat on my neck, bracelets layered on my wrists.

i was wearing the pretty dress he'd bought me as an apology.

i really didn't have a crush on him.

helping pepper l get back together with sawyer was complete proof that i felt nothing for him.

it was proof we were friends, and only friends.

i didn't like him.

right?