chapter 20 • was complete proof that i felt nothing for him

Start from the beginning

"does anyone smell something funky? oh wait, it's sawyers gym locker! i can smell it all the way from here!" bella laughed.

"his locker is such a mess, a rat reported him to the board of health! and this guy has a girlfriend? oh, poor pepper. i hope that necklace doubles as a flea collar." bella laughed.

i tried to contain my laughter, but my efforts only brought bella's attention to me.

"what's so funny, cherry? his locker isn't as messy as your love life." bella started.

i looked around the room, everyone's eyes now on me.

"i mean, come on! we can all tell you like sawyer, even though he has pepper." bella laughed.

sawyer and i both tensed up, and i could feel peppers eyes burning into my back.

"was he was right about you only caring about money? do you even have feelings?" bella questioned.

i watched pepper grab her purse.

"pepper." i stared, standing up.

"we're supposed to be friends!" pepper said.

"bella-" mateo said.

"mateo, as always, so quick to defend her! it's so painfully obvious that you have a crush on her, and she doesn't feel the same way!" bella announced.

he glared at her.

"are you more brawn than brain?" bella pouted.

pepper quickly left the room, and i followed after her.

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

sawyer was avoiding me.

he thought i was in love with him, which i wasn't.

we were best friends, that was it. i would never come between pepper's relationship, because she's my best friend too.

and now pepper was avoiding me, too.

"pepper, why did you wanna take a break from going out with sawyer?" bella asked, and my attention was immediately drawn to them.

"his lockers so messy! he's like one of those old ladies who has a house full of old news papers, old plastic bags, and old cats!" pepper complained.

i stood next to bella.

"oh, it's you." pepper said.

"i'm really sorry, pepper. i don't like sawyer. how many times do i have to tell you?" i pleaded.

"i don't believe you, cherry. it all makes sense. the amount of time you spend with him, how close you are to him." pepper rambled.

"because we're friends, and we're on the same football team!" i scoffed.

i huffed, fixing my purse and stomping down the hall, heels clicking on the ground.

i kicked open the football locker room door, still stomping.

"what's got you all twisted up?" sawyer asked.

"your girlfriend!" i shouted.

"yeah, she's making me a little frustrated, too. i thought she liked me for who i was." sawyer frowned

i gave him a smile, walking over to the bench.

pepper scoffed at me, and i rolled my eyes, applying another layer of lipgloss.