18: Take Me The Way I Am

• The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson

Lari woke to a sweet voice, reciting a poem. She laid there for a few moments, listening to the words uttered among sobs.

"I looked in my heart while the wild swans went over.
And what did I see I had not seen before?
Only a question less or a question more;
Nothing to match the flight of wild birds flying.
Tiresome heart, forever living and dying,
House without air, I leave you and lock your door.
Wild swans, come over the town, come over
The town again, trailing your legs and crying!"

When she realized it was over, she sat up and met eyes with the orator. The blue of the ocean met the green of the forest, and in between was a still child, far too close to death.

"Am I late?" Lari asked, her voice low and shaking. Jade only shook her head.

"Good, good," she continued, pulling herself up to her knees and proceeding towards them. "I got it. I brought a vial. Luna said 1-2 drops should be enough. I think we have to take the arrow out first. Avento, love! Open your eyes. You'll be fine. I promised, right? Princess will always keep her promise."

Tears streamed down her face with every word and her hand shook, barely holding on to the vial. Jade's face mirrored hers as they both shook the boy to wake him up.

"Alive," the calico reassured, and the tabby meowed, as if in agreement. And on cue, Avento meekly opened his eyes. His cornea was watery, and he probably couldn't even see properly anymore.

His breath was unnoticeable now. But he used the little strength he had left to whisper to the women, "I.. don't.. want.. to die."

Jade nodded to Lari as the latter let Avento hold on to her hand as tightly as he could. The redhead took this opportunity to whisper encouragement to his ear and, in one swift motion, she wretched the arrow out of the gash it had made in his abdomen. He winced - too weak to even scream - and clutched Lari's hand so tightly, it made his nails leave marks on her skin. The Princess endured it without a wince.

"Okay, now 2 drops of this should do," Lari said, handing over the vial to her companion. "We have to trust Luna on this."

Jade nodded and unscrewed the cork from the mouth of the container. The liquid inside glowed from the narrow opening, just like it did on The Moon's realm. She tilted the mouth at the ghastly opening of Avento's wound, and poured a drop in it. And then another cautious drop, so as to not overdose him.

Within the next few moments, they watched the wound heal, and close up, leaving only a scar - not so ghastly anymore, just a memorabilia. "Thank goodness," Jade whispered, and slouched to peck the boy's forehead. But the boy's eyes kept shut. His breath had become steady, but he didn't open his eyes. Suspecting him to have just fallen asleep, the two women decided to bring him back inside the house to let him rest.

"But we'll have to leave as soon as he wakes up," Jade proposed to Lari, as she set Avento down on her still unmade bed. "They could bring back more people. We have to escape before that happens."

"This is why, I told you not to give away the pouch of resins, Jade," her roommate complained. She sat down on the floor a foot away from her with the silvery vial still clutched in her hand.

The redhead looked back at her, initially with a frown on her forehead, before quickly realizing. Her face melted into an apologetic expression, and she replied after the epiphany, "they followed me. Shit! I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." Her face sank, taking Lari's heart with it.

"Wow, I told you I could defend myself and them, but I guess I was overestimating myself," she declared. "I'm really sorry... Princess, I... I should have listened to you."