| t e n |

"morning." you walked past jaemin in the kitchen and reached for the coffee machine, only for him to hiss out the words, "make your own coffee."

you blinked at him, your eyebrows raising before your hands rose as well, "alright dude, chill." he only grunted in response, drinking some of his own coffee before he grabbed the rest of the coffee and poured it down the drain. you scoffed getting ready to make your own coffee. he was acting hella weird - much weirder than usual. you let out a humorless laugh as you pressed start on the coffee machine, before you turned around to ask him, "who the fuck pissed in your cereal this morning, jesus."

"nobody did." he answered almost instantly, his shoulders moving up in a shrug, and you nodded slowly, following him as he walked out the kitchen. you heard him sigh, probably because he could feel you walking behind him, and he turned around to look at you. he stared at you, an eyebrow raised and a hand on his hip - if the tension wasn't as thick as it was, you would've laughed at the was he was looking, instead you asked him another question, "then why are you so snappy, on your period or something?"

once again he shrugged, "no, but maybe you are." you pressed your lips against each other at his words, your jaw tensing up a bit as well. you told him straightforwardly, "honestly, have no idea what i did to piss you off jaemin."

"sure." as he sipped his coffee you could only gape at him.

"dude, what the fuck?"

"what?" he tilted his head to the side in an annoying way, no expression on his face or anything that could indicate that he was joking. a sigh of defeat escaped your lips as you tried to directly ask him what was going on, "will you just tell me what's wrong?"

"it has something to do with a crying jieun when you went to get food yesterday." you blinked at him once then twice and then your jaw went slack. she had cried to him? to not make the situation worse, you swallowed the laugh before replying to him, your voice giving away the disbelief you were feeling, "what? she cried? why? because she badmouthed me when you went to the bathroom? slutshamed me and told me that i was cheap and lived in a disgusting pigsty?"

"weird.. she said the exact same thing about you." he sighed, almost dreamily. this time a laugh actually managed to escape you, it was humorless though. you shook your head, "you're joking. you're actually joking."

"no, she cried to me, telling me why you didn't like her, about how you slutshamed her for the way she was acting towards me." this was a prank. there was no way a girl like that actually existed. it wasn't exactly like you were surprised jaemin had girls fawning over him, because despite your confusion, he was quite popular in high school - and now apparently, but you didn't expect a girl to act like this towards his roommate he didn't even like. before you even realized it you began speaking again, your voice slightly smaller now as it escaped you in a mumble sort of, "to be honest, it was a bit too much sometimes."

jaemin looked away from you, his jaw moving a bit. he sighed, his eyes shutting tight, "while i do agree with that, it was too much to call her a slut and to call her dirty and disgusting for not cleaning up herself."

"and you choose to believe her, why?" came the question from you.

"because it wouldn't surprise me if you acted be like this." his body looked tense, it had looked like that since your argument began. you shook your head at his words, a small 'wow leaving you at his words. it hurt, as much as you hated to admit it, it did kinda hurt to hear him say that and to believe a girl he hadn't known for that long.

jaemin probably came to the conclusion that the two of you were done arguing and that he had won, because he turned around to leave you again. but you weren't done, not yet. you spoke up again, "can't you see all the flaws in her story? she literally complimented me for taking out the dirty mugs and stuff."

jaemin spun around quickly this time, obviously getting more and more irritated the longer the two of you continued - if he had spun around just a tiny bit faster he'd have spilled coffee everywhere. fortunately, he didn't.

"still, why would she come crying if she lied? who would go that far just to lie about someone who they most likely will never see again?" his voice was the tiniest bit louder now you noticed. the angrier he got the more ridiculous the whole thing got, because you knew she was lying. you knew it, so it was goddamn pathetic to see him defend her like his life depended on it.

"because she hates me."

"well, from the way you were acting towards her, i would as well." his face was flushed, but not in the embarrassing, or flustered way - it looked like he was getting angry, actually angry at you. your heart sank, and your vision blurred, the feeling of warm tears stinging in your eyes. you swallowed a lump in your throat that was beginning to appear, "fuck you."

"i mean, maybe you're in love with me and that's why you ac-" you cut him off before he could say something even dumber than that, "how the hell did you come to that conclusion?" you were yelling now. you didn't understand him. there was no way he was actually saying these thing unironically. he stared at you, not showing any sign of any feeling on his face so you figured he was serious.

you huffed, "get off your high horse, na jaemin."

"well, you're not denying it." jaemin shrugged.

"i am not in love with you." you snapped at him, feeling the blood rush to your face and your heart hammering, and definitely not in the nice way. you took one last look at him, and told him, "and from the way you're acting, i probably never will be."

jaemin only scoffed, you turned around. then the two of you went separate ways in the apartment. it felt like a battlefield, never once had you felt so uncomfortable in your own home. each time you saw him during the day, you'd turn around and walk the opposite way, each time you'd miss the frown on his face.

it was a lie. you had lied. and as much as you hated to say it, when you lied awake that night, thinking about why it annoyed you to no end that he was spending time with the girl and believing her instead of you, you realized something. you were beginning to fall for that annoying motherfucker. you were beginning to find it amusing to pick fights with him, it was fun. that was why the teasing was starting to be less one-sided. your heart was starting to beat faster for him, but the way he was acting made it clear to you that the two of you should be nothing more than roommates. maybe you should not even be that.