Ethan massaged his temples as he looked at his sister. "I'm getting flashbacks. I see myself the day Patty gave birth to Ella. You told me to see a therapist to discuss Patty and what happened to her. But with raising Ella, finishing med school, and everything in between, I didn't realize eight years had already passed. I didn't get the chance to mourn. And since everything went so well, I thought I got through it without therapy."

"Oh, Ethan." Doctor Stella stood up from her seat at the dining table and put her arms on her brother, who was sitting in the end chair. "You know you always have me, then and even now. I can call and have someone make a schedule for you."

"I know Ste. You helped me a lot before and even now with Ave. But talking to someone now might not be the right time. Knowing she could give birth any minute, I don't want to be away from Ave. I want to be with her every step of the way. Not being with her during her delivery is a mistake I couldn't make for the second time." Not again, not with Ave.

Like when they were little, Doctor Stella kissed her brother's forehead whenever anything bothered him. "Whatever happened to Patty wasn't your fault. With or without you beside her, the inevitable would still have happened. Besides, she kept everything about her health and pregnancy complications from you."

Doctor Stella paused and stared at her brother while thinking. "I admire you for not using your position to get favors. But just this time, please make an exception. I'm sure you can call someone. Why don't you schedule a house call? I'll also check with my contacts to see if someone can make a house call to you. At least take the initial step. That way, you wouldn't have to leave the house or be away from Avery."

Ethan stood up and hugged his sister. "Thank you, Ste. I hope someday I can give back all the kindness and love you've given Ella and me."

"You owe me big time!" Doctor Stella tapped her brother's shoulder. "Now, talk to your wife before her hormones make it harder for you!" She pushed Ethan toward the door.

Once outside the dining room, Ethan prepared himself. He felt slightly nervous, remembering Avery's face when she left the table. When he didn't find her in the garden, he peeped into Ella's room, but no one was inside. On his way toward their bedroom, a crying Ella approached him.

"What happened, Princess?" He scooped Ella into his arms.

"Mommy is packing her clothes. She said she would stay with Grandpa and Grandma. Little Bean will stay there too. But she said I couldn't come with them because I need to stay with you. I want to go where they go!" Ella explained in between sobs and tears.

Ethan felt a heaviness on his chest. "Why don't you join Mama Ste for dessert, and I'll talk to Mommy about it." Ella nodded and walked towards the dining room once he put her down. When he entered the bedroom, Avery was closing her luggage. She ignored his presence and continued taking her stuff from the vanity.

Ethan gently gripped Avery's hand to stop her. "Ave, my love. What are you doing?" He took her hand toward his lips.

Avery stopped, took a deep breath, and looked at him. "My dad is on his way. He's picking me up. I'm going back to my parent's house. Dad will clear his schedule from tomorrow. He'll bring me to the hospital when it's time."

He slowly brushed his hand over her face. "Why are you doing this, my love? I took a leave from work to be with you. We agreed you're staying here, and I'll always be with you."

"Ethan..." Avery looked up to stop her tears. "You don't have to do this for me. We're not your responsibility. I don't want to burden you or cause you any trouble. I'd rather stay away than let my giving birth trigger your trauma. I heard you and Ste."

Ethan stiffened. He leaned closer, pulled Avery's face towards his chest, and ran his hand through her hair. "My love, please don't do this. You don't have to worry about me. Ste and I made a plan about it. We'll have someone do a house call for my session while we wait for the baby. We settled everything."

A knock on the door paused their conversation. "Ma'am Avery, your dad is waiting for you in the living room." The housekeeper left after delivering the message.

Avery pulled away from Ethan's arms and kissed his lips. "Focus on yourself for now. I'll be fine with my parents. But, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that my giving birth reminds you of what happened to Patty. You need to talk about it so it can be out of your system."

"I'm fine, Ave. You don't have to leave. I need you." 

Ethan wrapped his arms around her. He moved her hair to the other side, planting tiny kisses on her neck and shoulder.

"Ethan, please..." Avery held his chin and gazed at him. "My dad is waiting. I have to go." Then, slowly, she removed his arms. She held onto her luggage and was about to go when she felt Ethan's hand on hers.

"Ave, you can't go." Ethan's face was white.

"I'm not leaving you. I want to give you the time to work on..." Avery was unable to finish. Ethan scooped her in his arms and rushed outside.

Doctor Stella was stunned to see Ethan carrying Avery, his face pale. Likewise, Avery's dad was surprised. Immediately, Doctor Stella went into doctor mode and called the hospital; they all went to the garage while Ethan barked orders to the housekeeper and the nanny.

"Call the driver here. We'll get in the car where Ave's hospital bag is kept! Bring Ella with you in her grandpa's car."

"Ethan, what's going on? Where are you bringing me?" Avery yelled.

"My love, your water broke. We're going to the hospital!"

***