Chapter 26

DAVID'S WORDS WERE LINED with desperation as memories of his mother's comforting words flooded his mind. He longed for the simpler times of his childhood when her warm embrace and soothing voice were enough to ease his sadness. He wished the current situation was just a nightmare and he could wake up to a life with only himself and Avery.

Feeling scared was an understatement compared to the complex emotions that stirred up anxiety in his body. With each passing second, the likelihood of losing Avery seemed to increase. Even though he tried not to entertain the thought, after several days with no communication or sight of Avery, his worst nightmare appeared to be coming true.

" Son, my heart will not stop loving you as your mother. But, I cannot condone nor accept your actions towards Avery."

He was speechless for the first time since David presented himself as one of Boston's young and eloquent defensive court lawyers. Hearing those words from his mother is like getting a losing verdict from a judge during a trial.

The shock on his face was evident as he uttered, "Mom...". He had hoped that she could be the one to help him earn Avery's forgiveness.

"Your father and I are meeting the Jacksons for dinner in a few hours. I understand that you wish me to persuade Avery to reconsider, but our priority is apologizing for the situation and ensuring her well-being. We must listen to her and respect her decision regarding your relationship. Please keep an open mind." His mother's gaze shifted toward him as she spoke.

David held his mother's hand, and she clasped him with both hands. Despite his pleading, his mother remained firm and gazed at him with determined eyes. "Son, please listen to me," she said. "Consider how you would react if Avery were in your situation and you were in your father's or my position. If Avery were the one who cheated, how would you feel? Would you want her parents to influence your decision after all you've been through?"

He was in denial and struggling to understand his mother's message. His gaze was fixed on her face, pleading for clarity. However, before he could speak, his father interrupted the conversation from the bathroom, where he had overheard everything.

"Let's not waste our words. We're not meeting with the Jacksons to beg on your behalf. Our goal is to demonstrate that we're good parents and show respect for their family." His father spoke firmly and pointed at David and himself, explaining that this is an example of how children can differ from their parents.

David's mother pleaded with his father to stop talking and listen to them. "Please, let's talk about this after dinner and after we speak with the Jacksons. I'll feel much better if you wait here for us to return," she croaked. David had no choice but to nod in agreement with his mother's request.

Instead of waiting at home, he explored other options to reach Avery. So he took out his phone and sent a message to initiate his plan.

***

David felt that time had frozen since his parents departed to meet Avery's family. The sharp wit and brilliant intellect he had displayed for years seemed to have disappeared, causing him to miss Avery even more. He remembered how she would always lift his spirits with her inspiring words and comforting gestures, which helped to soothe him whenever he felt stressed from work. Since he met her, his life had never been as lonely or challenging. However, he destroyed the best relationship he could have had and broke the heart of the only woman who loved him unconditionally.

He couldn't just stay at home and wait. There might be some other way to get to Avery. So he took his phone and sent a message.