Chapter 32

AVERY STOOD UP AND hugged Mama T. "I'm sorry for the short notice. Thank you for coming," she whispered.

"I told you, you will always be family. Whatever happens."

"I need to give you something. And I wanted to see you too," Avery stammered.

"David told us about your leaving for a while. I so wanted to see you. I'm happy you gave me a chance."

"Oh, my Mama T!" Avery placed her face on the woman's shoulder. "I'm sorry for telling you just now."

Mama T's eyes glittered with tears as she embraced Avery tighter. Then, when a server approached their table, both women separated and took the chairs facing each other.

"When David and I talked the last time, I forgot to return something. I don't want to overwhelm him more. Other than him, there's no one else I thought I should return this to but you." Slowly, Avery removed the ring from her finger. She grasped Mama T's hand and placed the ring on her palm.

Mama T clasped the ring in her hand. She bit her lower lip and let her tears fall. The tears only a mother could cry for the genuine love her child had just lost. Subsequently, she wiped her tears with her other hand and smiled at Avery.

"I'm sorry, Mama T. I must be away from here. From everything that will remind me of him. I need time for myself."

"I perfectly understand how you're feeling. Please promise to update us about the baby. I hope you allow us even the smallest space in the baby's life. Anytime you want us around, we will be happy to come."

"I surely will. Mom and Dad would want that too!"

"I'll keep this ring to myself for now. I hope you understand a mother's heart. David resigned from the firm. He signed up for a six-month volunteer mission in Africa with Lawyers Without Borders. He decided after your talk. Hope it'll do him good."

"I hope so too. I'll pray for him." Avery beamed.

"Just to let you know, the woman in LA asked our lawyer for $500,000 in exchange for her releasing all rights to the baby. So David and his dad assigned someone to care for the baby while everything legal was in the works. Right now, we are in the waiting phase."

"I hope the baby gets the chance to be with you soon. Before David leaves for Africa."

"That's what we're aiming for." Mama T squeezed her hand. "I want to assure you that we feel the same care and love for your baby. We look forward to seeing and holding our grandchild in the future."

"I know, Mama T. I promise." Avery bit her lip and looked at the ceiling as she fought her tears.  "The baby will know you and David. You'll all be part of the baby's life."

"Thank you, Avery. Sorry for all the pain my son caused you. But please don't doubt the good and happy times you two shared. He truly loved you, and he still does."

Avery nodded. "I know. I guess some things are not meant to be." Avery bowed down.

Mama T stood from her chair, moved toward Avery, and put her arms around her. "My dear Ave, our lives will never be the same without you. Seasons may change, and times may pass, but the hole you leave in my son's heart will be his life's greatest regret."

Avery succumbed to the warmth of the woman she considered mother next to her own. Her dad was right. Leaving Boston behind secretly and without a trace would have been unfair to David and his parents, who had accepted and embraced her as their own.

At that moment, a warm embrace and gentle touch were exchanged between two women who shared nothing but love for the one man, David. A mother's never-ending affection for her only son was tested by fate. And a woman's genuine love for the one man she trusted and adored was challenged by destiny.

***

On her last night in the bedroom where she spent her childhood, Avery felt sadness, fear, and hope.

Sadness because after everything she went through, the sacrifices and the agony. David's and her story still didn't have a happy ending. It made her question if she would still find her happily ever after.

Fear of the unknown was what her dad said. But her fears are multitudes. What was in store for her and her child in Florida? Was she doing the right thing? What if she couldn't get over David? Would someone comparable to him still come?

But amidst the sadness and the fear, she was hopeful. Whatever transpired in Boston would give her the strength to overcome life's challenges in the future. Courage would empower her to live life the best way she could. Her family's love would inspire her to love herself. Then, hopefully, when the right time came, she would be ready to open her heart again.

***

"Ready, Muffin?" Her dad's voice interrupted her phone conversation.

"Shells, I have to go. They're now calling our flight for boarding. Love you!" Avery immediately got up from her seat and followed her parents as they walked toward their gate.

While in line, she looked around Boston Logan. She felt her chest tighten. It was really goodbye.

Once seated, she checked her phone before turning it off. She had message notifications from Shelly, Mama T, and David. She decided not to read any of them and turned off her phone. She closed her eyes and dozed off.

***

"Dad, I'll make a quick bathroom break. Then I'll see you and Mom in the cafe."

"Yes, Muffin. We still have a forty-five-minute layover, anyway. So we'll go ahead and wait for you there." 

On her way to the airport bathroom, Avery remembered their family's travels when her grandparents retired to Palm Coast. They always spent their layover time in Charlotte in the same cafe where they enjoyed its signature cinnamon roll. 

She washed her hands and applied lip balm, seeing her pale face in the bathroom mirror. A smiling, chubby-cheeked little girl waved at her when she passed through the door. Avery smiled and waved back. 

After walking a few steps away from the bathroom, she felt someone tugging her jacket from behind. When she stopped to look, the same chubby-cheeked girl was holding her jacket hem. Her button-like eyes were smiling brightly at Avery. 

"Are you lost?" Avery asked as she kneeled in front of the little girl.

"You're so pretty." The little girl smiled as she blinked her eyes.

Avery smiled and looked around. "What's your name? Where is your mom? How old are you?"

"I'm seven," the little girl answered as she tried showing her seven fingers to Avery.

"I think you're lost, Cutie. We have to find your parents. What's your name?" Avery asked again.

"ELLA!" a loud, frantic voice echoed inside the airport lobby.

The little girl touched Avery's cheek and looked toward where the loud voice was coming from.

"That's my name!"

***