Chapter Three : Proper Introductions

Y/n's POV

I make my way to set, make up fully done and in the wardrobe for today's scenes. Out of nowhere blonde hair bounces in front of me, her eyes a confusing shade of greens and browns.

Yelena Belova

"Hi, Tony told me you were shooting today." She smiles, looking me over, trying to get a read on me.

"Of course he did." I sigh out, trying my best to keep up the facade in front of a woman I am very intimidated by.

"He also told me how you take your coffee." She hands me a Red-Bull.

I allow genuine laughter to escape my lips, rushing a hand up to try and hide it. She gives me a confused look.

"I'm sorry, it's really not that funny. When I first met him-" I breath in sharply, realizing I'm about to tell her a small part of the story, "He asked how I took my coffee, and I wanted to piss him off, just a little-" I narrow my eyes, leaning in, a small part of me hoping she doesn't think I'm an asshole based on this story, based on all the stories the media will tell at Tony's request. "So I told him I hated coffee and then stole the Red Bull from his desk that he was drinking and drank that instead." I laugh out, remembering the moment well. "For the record, I do like coffee, but thank you for this." I bring it up to my lips, tasting the medicine like qualities that make the glands in my throat twinge a little as it spills into my empty stomach.

"Are you always like that?" Her lips part a little, not sure if she wants to elaborate or wait for a response.

"Like what?" My breath caught in my chest, worried about the impression I'm giving off, worried if she's believing the facade, but worried that she also won't.

"The most memorable person in the room." She smirks, choosing an interesting turn of phrase to explain my behavior.

"I doubt that's a word people would use for me." I keep her eyes steady on mine, thinking back to my high school and college years when I felt like the most overlooked person in the room. I had friends and went to parties, I was well liked, but I still didn't feel seen.

"After last night, I can assure you, you're going to be remembered." She rests a hand on my forearm, squeezing it gently. I remember back to the charade from last night. The point of my performance was to wrestle up as much attention to the possibility of flirtation so that people would want to come see the movie, the movie where our characters are the ones in a relationship.

"I'm sorry about that, by the way." I find myself apologizing, knowing that if Tony were to hear this, he would kill me.

"I knew the moment I saw you on the red carpet what you were going to have to do last night, so no apologies are needed."

"You knew? Tony clued you in?" I shake my head in disbelief, the point was for her to be just as shocked as everyone else.

"No, but you made sure all the cameras were watching us before you did it. Plus I saw you arguing with your agent before, I can tell when someone else is spinning a narrative, I've been in this business a long time, since I was a kid." She smiles, knowing some semblance of the truth, "Also I saw you eyeing up Wanda before me, now that-" She narrows her eyes, "That was genuine interest. What you did for me? That was a show."

"I am sorry that you're getting caught in the middle of this, it's not fair to you." I bite the inside of my cheek, worried if she's appalled by the mess I was told to drag her into.

She waves it off, "Please, it could be so much worse. You're not a bad looking girl, you're talented, you're willing to go the extra mile for your job and I can tell you're not actually the shithead the internet is saying that you are."