Chapter 22

"Can I... borrow this for the boat ride?" Harry whispered to Maximus. They were on the docks in the outskirts of the kingdom, and Harry was reaching for the satchel Maximus had been hiding from Louis all day while the aforementioned thief was renting the boat. 

The horse snorted, thinking for a moment before nodding. He trusted that Harry would give it back.

Harry grabbed the satchel and hid it from Louis, whispering into the horse's ear, "Thank you, Maximus." He scratched his muzzle in gratitude. 

The horse snuffled against his hand, proud of himself. 

"Alright, we have a boat. Ready for the lanterns?" Louis grinned at Harry, yet again holding out a hand.

"Maybe!" Harry jumped into the boat, rocking it slightly. 

Louis chuckled, steadying it before getting in, grabbing the paddle and pushing them off the dock. They paddled out to the center of the fjord as the sun slowly set, casting a dull reflective glow on the surface of the water which caught Harry's eye. 

Louis smiled softly at him, shifting a bit closer to him. 

Staring at the water, Harry didn't seem to notice Louis getting closer to him at first. Then he plucked a pale blue lilac from his braid and placed it carefully on the water's surface, making it look like it was suspended on the top of the tower's spire. He went to do the same but he couldn't reach any other flowers without bending uncomfortably or pulling his hair. 

"Here." Louis gently plucked more flowers out of his braid and handed them to him.

Harry smiled gratefully and took a bright orange lily, placing it on the reflection of the second highest tower of the castle. 

The sun was fully set by the time Harry completed his aquatic mural. Now he was just leaning against the side of the boat, dipping his fingers in the water and splashing Louis while he hid the satchel from his view. 

Louis snickered softly, splashing him back. 

Harry laughed, a little sadly, and went back to resting his chin in his arms, staring out at the flowers askew on the water. 

The older man frowned softly. "Hey... you ok?"

"I'm... terrified," he laughed. 

His brow furrowed. "Why?"

"I've been looking out my window for 18 years, alone and hoping, dreaming about watching them up close, wondering what it would feel like when those lights rise into the sky... but... what if it's not everything I dreamed it would be?" 

"It will be." He smiled at him comfortingly.

"So what if it is? What then? I've kept myself alive in that tower with one thing in mind- feeling whatever feeling comes with watching those lanterns. When that's over, what's left?" 

"I guess... that's the good part. You get to find a new dream. And... you don't have to go back after just one day. You're 18 now. You don't have to... be a child in your tower anymore."

"Where else is there for me to go? What else is there for me to do? The truth is, I don't know how to survive outside that tower... I've only made it so long now because you're here with me." 

"Well... I'm not just gonna abandon you... and you can stay here, in the kingdom... you won't be out alone in the wild." 

"I'm sure I'd be better at living in the wild than in the kingdom... I don't think the people knew how to really... act around me." 

"You'll still be ok. I promise."

Harry smiled sadly. "Maybe." 

"Yeah..." He smiled back.

_______________

Your gurl be getting specs today!