Chapter Three

"So we treat the patient's electrolyte deficiencies, he gets better, and then he gets worse. What does that tell us?" Dr. House stood at the white board. He made eye contact with everyone sitting at the table.

Bella was confused as to how she found herself sitting at that table. Not only did she feel out of place, but she also looked it. Among the dress shirts and white coats, she wore deep purple scrubs.

"The hypokalemia and hyponatremia could have been symptoms to an underlying cause." The female doctor, who Bella came to know as Allison, spoke up.

Dr. Foreman nodded. "Something prevented the patient from producing electrolytes."

"Could be congestive heart failure." Dr. Chase folded his arms and leant back in his seat. He sat in between Dr. Foreman and Bella, with Bella on the end.

Dr. House sarcastically gawked. "Of course it's congestive heart failure. The guy's in his 50's and he looks like he eats KFC for breakfast, lunch, and dinner." He tapped the whiteboard behind him. "But what made his symptoms so severe his heart couldn't beat?"

"The guy did come in complaining about his bowel movements. And certain laxatives could lead to electrolyte deficiencies." Dr. Foreman hypothesized.

Allison shook her head. "He said he never took anything. Not even ibuprofen."

"Patients lie." Dr. House corrected. "We need blood work and bowel sample."

Bella's pager went off and she stood. "I have to go." She strode out of the room and hurried down the hall to triage.

Ms. Charmaine stood there with her fists propped on her side hips. "Where you been, newbie?"

"I was called in by Dr. House. We were discussing treatment for a patient." Bella was nervous. She felt like she disappointed her favorite teacher. Awful.

A beat of silence and Ms. Charmaine nodded. "Alright. Just don't forget you got nurse duties. You don't have time to be playing doctor." With that she organized the stack of papers in her hand by hitting the edge against the counter before walking away.

"She likes you." Michelle came up behind Bella's shoulder. Bella turned to face her for Michelle to push a thick book in her hands. "You left this at triage. Figured you didn't want any patients sneezing on it."

"Thank you." Bella took the book from her friend.

Michelle rested her hands in her pockets. "So, do you read about cardiothoracic surgery for fun?" There was a hint of a laugh behind her smile.

"Just keeping up with my studies." Bella shrugged, suddenly awkward. It scared her how much she already trusted Michelle after one day, but she still couldn't trust Michelle with her past. Not yet, at least.

Michelle nodded and shifted her weight back on one heel. She felt Bella's awkwardness and decided to drop the subject. "Anyways, how did you end up getting called in by Dr. House to diagnose a patient?"

"I figured out what caused Mr. Brakeman to go asystole. He wasn't producing enough electrolytes." Bella answered.

Michelle nodded, thought for a moment, then spoke. "Charming's on his team, isn't he?"

Bella rolled her eyes. "If you're talking about Dr. Chase, then yes." Bella refused to let that nickname catch on.

"So that's his name." Michelle mused, a laugh under her breath. Bella huffed amused and walked around the desk to put the book in her locker. Michelle followed her. "What are you doing after your shift today?"

Bella closed her locker and turned to face Michelle. "Feed and walk my dog. Maybe watch an episode of Forensic Files. Then go to bed."

"How about going out for a drink?" Michelle smirked.