Chapter 10

"Is it too soon to call?"

"Tesoro, how long ago did Arizona land?" The woman over the phone questions.

"Well, she should've just landed. Like a couple minutes ago." Carina says, pacing around her house, wandering aimlessly, briefly glancing over at the wall clock as she speaks to Gabriella. "I miss her; maybe I should just fly back now? It's not like my father wants me around anyways..."

"Why don't you give Arizona some space? Gain some perspective?" That suggestion seemed absurd to Carina, but she also knew that Gabriella was right.

"But what if she moves on? What if she forgets about me, and I really do become just a summer fling?" The OB's voice became more strained, laced with panic as scenarios flooded her mind.

"I know my interaction with her was brief, but I saw the way she looked at you, even when you and she were arguing. There was so much love in her eyes for you; she wasn't angry when she found out at the hospital she was hurt. It probably hurt her so much seeing the person she had deep feelings for sleep with someone else." The other Italian advised the mindlessly wandering blonde obsessed fool.

"I made a mistake. I get it." Taking a moment, sigh as the memory replays again. "I want to fix things, but she wouldn't let me. I tried, but-"

"You need to give her time. You broke her trust. She needs more time to accept what happened. She might've seemed okay when you guys were together for the last couple of days, but-"

"Except it wasn't." Carina states as she cuts her friend off. Her pacing stopped as she stood facing the balcony. "The whole time we were together, it felt like I was weighed down with all the words and feelings I had to get out but couldn't and... I don't know. I need help." Throwing her free hand up, flopping onto her leather couch.

"I have to go. I got paged. But start slow. If the love is truly there, you'll both feel it." Gabriella remarks as she ends the call.

Carina laying on the couch, still staring at her ceiling as the loneliness settles in once again. "Ugh, this sucks." grunts as she decides to get changed and start making dinner. "Maybe just a wellness text wouldn't hurt...Right?" The whooshing text sounds caused the now anxious brunette to turn her phone, so the screen was facing up and got back to her cooking.

~~~

"Thank you, Keep the change." The blonde smiled at her cab driver, and she handed him an extra twenty. The two weeks abroad was fun, and all but nothing would compare to the feeling of home... or familiarity more like. She grabbed her suitcases with a backpack swung over one shoulder, making her way towards the front of her apartment. An apartment that she shared with April. Arizona was always the type to get everything sorted as soon as possible without dragging it out. Quickly threw everything in the wash before changing into some comfy Pj's when she started to look for food. The lack of food made the blonde giggle slightly as she continued to venture through the cupboards knowing that the two of them had emptied their apartments out before their trip. Just as she pours herself the last bit of white wine left in the house, her phone lights up. A smile crept onto her face as she positioned her phone on her knees that were pressed up to her chest, waiting for facetime to be picked up.

"Hey." The smile disappears when the blonde notices the lack of Carina's face on her screen.

"Bambina! How was your flight?" The brunette's voice registered through the phone. However, there was still no sign of her.

"Uhm." The peds surgeon stutters, "It was good. Why can't I see your face?"

"Oh, just give me a- Fuck!" Carina yells as a series of noises are heard in the background. "Sorry. I'm here. I'm listening. I was just trying to make some food when..." She trails off as she picks up the phone, angling it so that her face and the mess she just made are in frame.