Chapter 2 (Edit-ors)

I wondered about what Meiko and Neru were discussing. Mieko and Neru? Where did I get those names? Then I realized that my brain was telling me something. My mind brought me to the conclusion that they were part of my Vocaloid group.

There was complete silence until I heard something through my head phones. 

"You're not the only one," a mysterious voice said in my head.

 I tried to respond but I knew I would just be talking out loud. After a few moments there was no response from the voice. I pushed the head phones that Meiko had given me against my ears to see if I could hear it again. I started hearing more voices. I kept focusing on what the voice said until I realized it was Meiko. Both she and Neru were looking at me funny. Embarassed, I stopped pushing my headphones against my ears.  But I was positive the first voice sounded nothing like Meiko

 "What were you doing Miku?" She asked. "Who cares?," Neru hissed. "What's your problem?" I asked. "I'm looking at it," she whispered to herself. I was so close  to punching her in the face and wishing that she was never born.   "Neru!" Meiko shouted. "You know how important Miku is, right?"

 "Yeah," she responded with a doubtful look on her face.

 "Then stop treating her like a piece of crap!"

 After Meiko shouted there was complete silence, until Neru walked to a door on the side of the hall. The door slammed shut and Meiko and I were left alone in the corridor. "Sorry about that Miku," she said after a long silence. "Ever since we started working on you, her attitudes taken a nose-dive."

 "So this competition means a lot to Neru?"

 "Yeah she's always dreamed about winning this competition. She was the one who was chosen to go when we first knew about it 5 years ago, until..."

 "I was made," I guessed. She nodded her head. "You're master or, more appropriatly, our master created the first vocaloid or as we call it Vocal Droid."

 "What about you?" I asked.

"Well you see Miku, me and the rest of the Vocaloids are cyborgs. By that I mean that one of our important organs have been replaced by artificial ones. We can thank our master for that doing."

"Who is this master you keep referring to?" I asked. "Well he's the guy who created all of us, including you, but Neru and I finished up the job of making you."

"Cool when can I meet him?"

Meiko turned away and her brown hair swept down, covering her shining blue eyes. I could tell that something I said upset her but what? 

 "You can't," she whispered. "Okay maybe some other time then," I said.

"Yeah, if he came back to life," she whispered again.

"Wait you're telling that he's---"

"Dead. Yes he is."

"How?"

"Promise me one thing," Meiko mumbled. "That you will never speak of his death."

I didn't know whether to take that as a promise or a threat but just to get this all behind us I said

" Um, alright I promise. But you said 'other vocaloids'. Are there more?"

That's when Meiko stood straight, brushed her hair away from her eyes, and quickly turned back into the person I had first met.

"Yeah we have Len, Rin, Kaito, and well, you'll see," she said. "Come this way."

She held on to my hand and pulled towards the end of the hall.