He looked up and sighed when he noticed it was me. "Sorry," he said. "I shouldn't have left. How did they take it?"

"I don't know. I didn't exactly stick around to find out," I replied harshly. "Dick," I added for good measure, so he knew just how annoyed I was. Fit as he may be, he was stupid as hell.

"How strong is that drink?" he asked nodding toward the glass in my hand.

"Pretty strong," I replied.

"Can I have some?" I didn't answer him and instead just passed the glass into his hand and watched him wince when he took a sip.

"Jesus Christ. Yeah, that's strong."

"Yeah well, I needed something strong after you abandoned me with your friends and then having to deal with Arwyn," I explained.

"Isn't that the guy whose house this is?"

"Yeah. I think he fancies me."

"You don't fancy him?"

"Too tall."

"Really? Is that...do you want to be the taller one?" he asked.

"No," I said sitting down next to him. "I just don't like them being too tall."

He nodded in acknowledgment, and I just took another sip of my drink. The room felt like it was spinning a little, so I leant back and rested my head and closed my eyes.

"Maybe you've had enough of that?" Roman said taking the glass out of my hands. "Every sip is basically a shot."

I hummed in response and opened my eyes again. He put my drink down onto a side table and leant back just as I had. I sighed. Despite having pissed me off, seeing him lay there like that with a distant look in his eyes and nervously biting his lip, I still thought he was beautiful. It was weird to see a guy I'd fantasised about in different scenarios look so real.

"I'm sure they don't care that you're bi. Don't let insecurity take your friends away from you," I told him.

He turned his face around so he could look at me more clearly. "Thanks," he whispered. Maybe in another life I would have leant over, been brave, and kissed him. His lips were so close, and I could feel the air he breathed out hit my face in soft waves. Instead, however, I closed my eyes as a wave of nausea hit me and then immediately went to the bin I'd seen by the desk when I came in and threw up into it.

I felt a hand pat me on the back and a voice tell me everything was going to be okay. I was sure it was Roman's voice, but the voice distorted until it changed into the voice of a different man, a police officer. I'd woken up in the hospital. I couldn't talk and there was this immense pain at my neck. All I could do was croak and wail as the officer and his partner told me that my parents were gone. I cried and I kept crying until I was gasping for breath and my neck throbbed in pain.

"Alden? Alden it's okay," Roman's voice said getting louder and more clear as his own voice and no one else's. It penetrated through my memories and brought me back to now. "It's okay, it's just a little sick. You'll be fine. Shit are you crying? Shit."

This was not how tonight was meant to do, but I felt my scar tingle and felt that pain again and it hurt. It hurt so much, and I just wanted my mum to hold me and read me a story so I could fall asleep like she used to when I would get sick and laid in bed restless.

I heard a ringing from behind me. I think it was my phone, but I didn't pay it attention. I kept my head stuck in the bin letting my tears mix in with the last of my sick that I spat out of my mouth. I wanted to go home. I felt disgusting and I wanted my bed and I wanted to feel warm.

"Hello?" Roman greeted whoever was calling. "Yeah, I'm with him." He told them where we were and soon, I felt Dahlia's hands on my shoulder and her voice asking if I was okay.

"I want to go home," I croaked. "It hurts. I don't want it to hurt anymore." The world still felt dizzy, and tears clouded my vision as I brought my head up to look at my only friend.

"What hurts? Can you tell me?" she asked.

"My neck. My heart. I miss them," I tried to explain. At this point I'd forgotten Roman was even there.

"Roman, right?" I heard her say. "Do you know a guy called Charlie? We came here with him."

"Yeah, I met him earlier," Roman replied. I'd managed to find Dahlia's lap to rest my head on because I couldn't sit up right anymore.

"Can you try to find him? I'll need his help to get him home."

I heard the door open and close and then open again maybe ten minutes later with two sets of feet entering the room this time.

"Shit, what happened?" Charlie's voice asked.

"I don't know," Dahlia replied, "but he wants to go home."

"He had a lot to drink. I tried some and it was like really strong, and I don't know how full the glass was before he came in, but it was 2 thirds of the way down by the time he was here," Roman tried explaining. But that wasn't what was wrong with me. What was wrong was that I was here, and my parents weren't.

"Okay, I mean, I can hold him up while we walk back, but Dahlia you gonna be able to keep his other side up for that long? I'm not sober enough to carry him properly. I could end up falling," Charlie said.

"I don't know," Dahlia replied.

"I'll help," Roman offered.

I felt myself being lifted up. Charlie and Roman on either side of me holding me by the shoulder so I could stay upright. Dahlia opened the doors and guided us as we walked out into the dark. At some point along the way I needed to stop because I felt like I was going to puke again but nothing happened. I just dry heaved until Dahlia convinced me to give up, so I went back to holding onto Charlie and Roman as they helped me back to the house.

Eventually, I felt the cold surface of my pillow against my cheek and hushed voices talking behind me.

"I'll stay with him tonight," Dahlia said and then laid down on the bed beside me as the boys left my room. "How you doing there Alden? Do you want some water?"

I just shook my head no and closed my eyes and let sleep overtake me.

~~~~~~~~~

Make sure to vote and comment if you've been enjoying things so far. It would really help me out! :)