Mira shuffled her feet. Fiddled with the bracelet on her wrist. Bit her lip.

Myles wished he could make this all less awkward, but he couldn't be the one to break the ice.

"Mira, what's wrong?"

"Why are you being like this? Aren't you angry?"

"At you?"

Mira nodded.

Vara's sigh was drawn out. "Mira, no. I have no reason to be."

More shuffling. Then, with a forced smile, "Where's the table?"

"I'll go grab our drinks," cut in Myles. "What would you like?"

"You don't..." Mira sighed. "I have no way of paying you back."

He didn't plan on taking any money from her. Not that she'd agree with that. "Right now you don't but you will, later on. Re-pay it then."

"I... okay."

He'd been expecting more of an argument. If Vara wasn't standing with them, he was sure there would have been one.

"Can I grab a sprite, please?"

Non-alcoholic, which wasn't a surprise. He hoped, some time in the night, she'd feel comfortable enough to change her mind about that. "I won't be long," he said, eyeing the scarcely populated bar.

"Have fun with that. Mira, come on. There's so much I need to catch you up on." Vara's gaze cut to his, narrowed. "Away from prying ears."

Myles raised an eyebrow. "Careful. I might take offence."

"Oh?" Hand on her hip, Vara smirked. "It's almost as if you were meant to."

She and Ciaran were perfect for each other, they really were.

"Let's go, Mira." Vara's voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper. "Before animal-boy here turns and eats us."

Mira didn't respond to that. He suspected she didn't know how. She let herself be dragged away by Vara and Myles watched them go. He wasn't the only one. He had to tamp down misplaced territorial instincts, triggered by those around them. Needing to shift his focus, he headed towards the bar, weaving past the booths and tables.

The bartender headed his way, turning from where she re-stocked the shelves. She was a shifter. Her bleached hair was streaked with pink. Her grin was all teeth. "What can I get for you, handsome?"

Myles leaned on the bar. "Bourbon, on the rocks and a sprite."

Her voice dropped to a purr as she leant towards him, flashing cleavage. A deliberate move he pretended not to notice. "Laced, darling?"

"Yes," he said, grabbing his wallet and pulling out a twenty, hoping she'd get the hint.

Undeterred, she put her palm on his forearm. "If you get bored with your date, I get off at midnight."

Myles took a step back.

"The change," he prompted, voice hard, when she didn't move to take the money. "And drinks."

The flirting wasn't what bothered him; it was part of her job. No, he took issue with the calculated glint in her eye. He knew that look all too well. She recognised him, and had been watching him. She wanted the bragging rights that came with sharing his bed. She wanted to use him as a pawn to gain power within the pack, nothing more.

Years ago, the blatant offer would have amused him.

Now it just pissed him off, especially when she did with Mira metres away, who he knew was watching—but unable to hear anything over the music—when her scent turned bitter.