"This place has terrible food," Kathrine said with a dismissive wave. "No sense in insulting your taste buds in the name of health."

"No..." I said looking down at the container, suddenly overwhelmed. It smelled like the food my mom used to make. The mouth-watering smell of garlic bread and pasta wafted through the room, making my chest ache. I was holding a piece of home and it hurt. I found it hard to breathe. "Why did you bring me food?"

Katherine handed me a fork and lowered herself into the chair beside my bed. "Why wouldn't I bring food to feed someone who's been hurt?"

I shoved a fork full of spaghetti into my mouth when she stared at me, waiting for me to challenge her food logic. I couldn't argue with her kindness and I didn't really want to.

The meal tasted even better than it smelled. Cheese and pasta sauce sinking into the meatballs and making it impossible to resist. My eyelids fluttered closed, enjoying a bite full of peace and heavenly flavors.

Oh my gosh. I don't even care if she is lying and is some random stranger, this is one of the best meals I've ever had.

"Thank you. It's really good," I said in between bites.

She beamed. "I'm so glad you like it. How are you feeling?"

"Tired."

"A loaded word for a loaded situation," she replied offering me a sad smile. "Do you need me to bring you in anything? Blankets? Chocolate? A candle to cover the horrendous smell of chlorine that seems to come with every room they have?"

I laughed, wincing at the sharp pain that pricked at my collar. "No thanks. The food is perfect."

We fell into silence as I ate. The food was still hot, leaving me marveling at the magic that some mothers seemed to possess.

"I can see why Tate likes you," Katherine said, timing it so I was mid-bite.

I nearly dropped a meatball onto my chest, but caught it back in the container at the last second, saving me from looking like I had gotten stabbed again.

"What?" I asked, face blooming bright red.

Oh my gosh. What did he tell his family?!?

Katherine stared at me, eyes taking me in, in what must have been the most unflattering mental picture of my life. My hair was matted, curls gone haywire after the Masquerade. My makeup looked like it was a face painting of a raccoon, and I wore a hospital gown that may or may not have had a bit of spaghetti sauce splattered on it.

"I don't know why you look so surprised. I've never seen him so happy."

"He's always happy," I replied, far more blunt than I intended. This is not how I planned to spend my hospital time... not that I planned any of this.

Katherine leaned back, assessing me again. "He said you were honest."

I put down the mostly empty container, needing something to do. It was one thing to talk to Laliana about Tate. It was another talking to his very direct Aunt.

"So... are you going to date him, or are you going to keep stringing him along until you can think of a good enough reason to let him go?"

My mouth fell open. She started off as a good cop with the pillows and food and had gone straight to bad cop, expecting a confession. She would give Delle a run for her money.

Katherine raised a brow at me. "You aren't the only honest one around here."

The room fell into a deafening silence, inspiring the hope for a sudden distraction.