Chapter 2: The Huntsman Academy, Beacon

Start from the beginning

Just like her partner...

"If that huge building is what I think it is, then we're here."

Looking outside the windows, Skadi could see an enormous building that resembles a castle from fantasy stories that she used to read while she was young.

"So this is Beacon Academy... I wonder what awaits us in this chapter of our life." Skadi muttered as both Bounty Hunter's got ready to leave the ship when it landed on the ground.

***

After they landed, both Skadi and Lyle went and followed some students and arrived at the auditorium brim with students. They went and found their seats and waited for whoever everyone else was waiting for.

During this, they could hear a little heated argument between a black-haired female and someone they already guessed was a Schnee due to her familiar white hair and blue eyes. It was also evident in the way she was expressing herself using her body language.

Their attention was soon turned away when they saw Professor Ozpin walking towards a microphone on a stage where everybody could see him and beside him were Glynda.

"I'll... keep this brief. You have travelled here today in search of knowledge, to hone your craft and acquire new skills, and when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people. But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy, in need of purpose, direction. You assume knowledge will free you of this, but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far. It is up to you to take the first step."

As Ozpin was done with his speech and left Glynda came and continued.

"You will gather in the ballroom tonight; tomorrow, your initiation begins. Be ready. You are dismissed."

***

Nighttime arrived as everybody was in their sleep pyjamas except for a few individuals, who either didn't bring one with them or just didn't want to use it. One of them was Skadi, who only took off her hat and cloak. She was sitting in a corner while writing a diary.

Lyle was playing on his phone, sometimes spending money to gamble on a game, thinking he would hit the jackpot. Sadly, he didn't and so he decided to stop and went to browse the internet.

Both of them were enjoying each other's company despite not talking to each other. It was a peaceful moment before they heard the same people they saw in the auditorium arguing against each other again along with a yellow-haired girl. Another one, who seemed to be caught in all of this had a tired expression on her face as she went to blow the candle, engulfing the room in darkness.

"We should go and go to sleep, too. Although I'm not tired right now, I will be in the morning if I don't get enough sleep." Lyle said as he yawned.

"Go ahead and sleep, I'll keep watch-"

"We're not on a mission, Skadi. Just take this rare moment to relax for a bit. It won't hurt and nothing is going to happen, I promise."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

"Then... I guess maybe I can relax for a bit."

The two went to sleep and waited for the next day to come for the initiation.

***

Morning came as students, old and new, were standing near Beacon's cliff on a silver tile each. In front of them was Professor Ozpin holding a mug in his hand and Glynda with her tablet.

"For years, you have trained to become warriors, and today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest." Said Ozpin before letting Glynda take over. "Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumours about the assignment of "teams." Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates... today."

"What? Ohhh..."

"These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to be paired with someone with whom you can work well. That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years." Ozpin continued from where he left off.

"Whaaaat?!"

Skadi felt something was wrong and following her intuition, she guessed that Ozpin might alter the 'deal' between them. There was a chance that they wouldn't end up as teammates. Such an idea made her stern expression harden as her eyes glow ominously.

"After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path... or you will die." Ozpin continued to talk while feeling Skadi's eyes bore into his soul. He could only smile, pretending nothing was wrong and continued his speech. "You will be monitored and graded through the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one and return to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately. Are there any questions?"

"Yeah, um, sir?"

Ozpin ignored the young blond-haired boy and continued with his speech.

"Good! Now, take your positions."

Everybody raised their weapons and got ready for action. Lyle wielded his knives, while Skadi held her sword with one hand and walked toward Lyle before picking him up, earning a surprised and confused look from those who saw the scene.

"May I ask what it is that you are doing?" Glynda asked in a stern voice.

"There were no rules that stated that two people could be on the same tile. Unless I'm wrong, ma'am?" 'Skadi spoke with a fierce aura while holding Lyle's body as if he was a ragdoll.

"You..." Before she could finish her sentence, Ozpin raised his hand and stopped her.

"I am fine with that."

"But sir! The rules-"

"There was no rule stating something like this is forbidden. So isn't it fine to let it go this one time?"

"...As you say, sir..."

For a brief moment, both Glynda and Skadi lock eyes with each other. There seems to be sparks coming from their eyes as Skadi gave a 'hmph' and got launched with Lyle on one arm while the other was holding her sword.

Before they were completely out of sight, they could hear Lyle's confused voice before what sounded like thunder from where the two launched.

Ozpin took a sip of his mug as he watched the rest of the students get launched soon after.

"Oh dear... Today is going to be interesting." With a secretive smile on his face.