12. Warming Up

Começar do início

"I'm sorry, I... I'm not sure what I said wrong, but I'm sorry," I said quietly.

"You didn't say anything wrong, don't worry."

Maybe he really wanted to curl his hair, but behind that frozen shell of spikes and razor blades, he was... insecure?

"Well, I think you'd look absolutely adorable with curly hair," I told him.

He grabbed his fork like a weapon and pointed it at me as he leaned over the table. "I'll show you how adorable I can be," he hissed at me.

I just smiled at him. "I can't wait."

He gave me a murderous look and sat back down to eat. He kept giving me pissy glances over his food, but he couldn't take away my confidence for as long as he stayed with me. He would definitely march out the door the second he felt like it.

"What do you usually do in your free time?" I asked.

"Plan your murder."

I laughed at his words, shaking my head. "Is that why we're here? So you can poison me?"

"Yes," he said so confidently I had to look down at my pizza. When I looked back at him, I saw a smirk playing in the corners of his lips. "Getting nervous?"

"I'm hanging out with you. Of course I'm nervous," I said, conjuring a confident smile on my face.

He watched me closely. "No, you're not. You don't care if I beat the crap out of you. You just keep coming back."

"Maybe I like it," I said with a wink.

He squinted his eyes, and slowly took a bite of his pizza. He ate in silence, studying me closely, and I waited without turning to look away. In a way, this was exciting. After Cecilia and her inability to stay silent, it was a nice challenge to get Jax to talk to me. One wrong move, and I'd get a concussion, so finding the right words was rewarding.

I really had to pay attention to him. Jessica would be proud of me.

And I really spent my time with him bending over backwards to keep the conversation going. I tried so hard to get him to talk. I didn't even care what he was talking about, but he mostly refused to tell me anything during the rest of the night. I tried asking about school, his family, his friends, his hobbies, again about the makeup, his taste in music, favorite movies, favorite anything, but by the end of the date, I hadn't really learned much about him.

But I had no new injuries, so I took it as a win.

"Hang out with me tomorrow," I told Jax after we stepped out of the restaurant.

"I can't," he said. "I have work tomorrow."

I raised my eyebrow in amusement. "That almost sounds like you'd like to hang out with me."

He glared at me, and I assumed he'd deny everything, but instead he only said, "Fuck you Gabriel."

I laughed as we reached my car, but instead of unlocking the doors, I pulled Jax behind the corner and gently pushed him against the wall. He looked at me with murder in his eyes when I stepped so close to him our bodies almost touched.

"I do love the sound of my name on your lips," I murmured in his ear, blocking his way to freedom by pressing my hands against the wall on both sides of him. "Now... About that kiss you owe me..."

There was a challenging smile on his lips when I looked at him. Then, slowly, he brought his lips to my ear.

"Fuck you, Gabriel," he whispered back.

Something went momentarily wrong in my head, and I pushed him back against the wall and kissed him hard. I just lost my sanity. It felt like he did, too, since he kissed me back just as roughly as I was kissing him. I cupped his cheeks to keep him close, and I felt his hands on my shoulders, our bodies pressing tightly together.