ROAD 1: Moonlight in La Union

TRIGGER WARNING: SUICIDAL IDEATION

ELIO

"WALA na kong pera."

Tinignan ko si Kuya Michael na nakadapa sa kabilang kama. "Wala ka ng pera?" tanong ko.

"Bungal ka ba? Kasasabi ko lang wala na kong pera."

I smirked. I placed another pillow under my head and rolled over my back then I stared on the ceiling. "So does it means..."

I heard him sigh. Dali-dali siyang bumangon at umupo sa edge ng kama paharap sa'kin. "Ano ba kasing plano mo, Elio?"

"I told you. I plan to visit all the provinces in the Philippines."

"Hindi 'yon ang ibig kong sabihin. What I meant is what are your plans after this? What would you get in traveling aside from instagrammable pictures?"

"Well...I get to fuck different local women...and even foreigners—"

"And do you think that's an achievement?"

I paused.

He heaved a sigh again. "I don't care who you fuck or how many women you already fucked, but to treat women as trophies? To think that numbers of women you screwed will make you more of a man? That is practically immature of you, Elio."

Alam ko naman 'yon. I know I'm a fucktard, immature, black sheep of the family.

Tumayo na siya at pumunta sa paanan ng kamang hinihigaan ko. "That's it, Elio. We need to go back to Manila, hinahanap na tayo nina Mommy at Daddy—"

I laughed sarcastically. "Hinahanap tayo? Tayo? Sigurado ka? Pustahan sampung libo, ikaw lang ang hinahanap nila."

I reached for my camera on the bedside table and browsed the photos I took while we were in Batanes and Bataan. Doon kami galing bago kami pumunta dito sa ElYu.

"Elio, you know that's not true."

I looked at him. With his hands on his waist, chest rising and falling, alar flaring, I know he's frustrated. Binitawan ko ulit ang camera at saka umupo nang kaunti. "Kuya, hindi kita pinilit na samahan ako. You volunteered to join me and I know how bored you are because adventure and traveling is not your thing."

Ako naman ang bumuntong hininga. "And I'm grateful for that, I promise. But I'll be staying here. I like it here. I like where I am. Nag-e-enjoy ako sa ginagawa ko, Kuya. So please let me."

He pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head spontaneously. "Hindi ko na alam ang gagawin ko sa'yo, Elio."

"You exactly know what to do, Kuya." Muli akong humiga at inilagay ko ang braso ko sa ibabaw ng mga mata ko.

The next thing I heard are papers and cards being thrown on my bedside table. "Use it for your next adventure, I'll be going back to Manila. Please take good care of yourself, Elio. Call me or Dr. Shepherd if you need something."

Bahagya kong sinilip mula sa braso ko kung anong nilagay ni Kuya sa bedside table ko. I smirked upon realizing that those are bills and two of his credit cards.

Kasasabi niya lang kanina na wala na siyang pera but only foolish and gullible would believe him. He's a well-off and popular engineer in Manila with tons of projects. Sinong maniniwalang wala siyang pera?

Nagtalukbo ako ng kumot at nagpahinga. Ang huling namalayan ko na lang ay ang pamamaalam ni Kuya bago ko tuluyang nakatulog.