"Whatever you want, Naya." Sollel wrapped the blanket around Naya's body. "We're outside, and it's cold."

"Hmm..." Naya wrapped the blanket around her tightly and looked up at Sollel. "Mamma, I have a question."

"What is it?"

"Are you planning to abandon me in Ager?"

Sollel's eyes widened at that. "What would you say that?"

Naya shrugged and answered in a matter-of-fact voice, "I'm weak, and I have no use. I was awake last night when you and Lady Cira were talking. I heard your plan, and reviewing it now, I know I will only slow you down. So if you're planning to leave me in Ager, I don't mind. Just sell me to a slave shop owner. You bought me when no one wanted me. You fed me and clothed me and let me sleep beside you. It's more than enough."

Sollel sighed while listening to Naya speak like an adult. Her voice did not quiver even when she looked like she was about to cry. "Naya, as you said, I bought you, and I'm not going to abandon you. If you listened to my plan, then you know that was never my intention."

Naya looked down. "But I'm going to slow you down."

"Yeah. I know."

"But you said to Lady Zassia not to slow you down—"

"Zassia is different from you, Naya," Sollel explained. "She's my student and a flame sorceress. She needs to grow to be able to wield her flame perfectly. I can cuddle her the way I cuddle you. You're barely a teen. You're still too young."

Naya blinked at Sollel, her eyes shining in deep veneration and happiness. "Really? Y-you're not going to throw me away?"

Sollel nodded. "And I hate slave traders, so why would I sell you back to them? I didn't burn down the slave store in Sarnau for nothing."

Naya's awed looked was replaced by a happy grin as she launched herself at Sollel and wrapped her arms around Sollel's waist. "Thank you, Mamma!"

Sollel smiled and caressed Naya's hair. "You should sleep more. It will be hot tomorrow, so you won't be able to rest."

Naya nodded and eagerly lay on the wagon, her head on Sollel's lap.

And seeing Naya closing her eyes to sleep, Sollel took a controlled breath. She knew Naya would be a drag, but she just couldn't leave the girl. She was weak and had no means to protect herself. She was too vulnerable in this dangerous world.

Should I teach her how to wield a sword to protect herself? Sollel smiled at that. If Gatria was here, she would gladly take on the responsibility of teaching Naya how to wield a sword. But first, I have to buy her a sword that would suit her stature.

Sollel closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep. Her body already lost its ability to tell time after being imprisoned for nearly two centuries; thus, she didn't get sleepy at night.

With her eyes closed, she could hear Grath snoring, Xeke moving a lot, and Zassia practicing her flame.

And then, she felt another unfamiliar presence, snapping her eyes awake.

Slowly, she carefully laid Naya's head on the wagon and stepped out, looking around as she did. Her eyes were sharp as she examined the whole area. But nothing.

"Teacher—"

"In the wagon. Now," Sollel ordered Zassia in a hurry, afraid that the presence might attack them.

As Zassia entered the wagon, careful not to wake the two inside, Sollel felt the presence again. It was overwhelming but familiar. And it's coming from above her!