Chapter 1

Alexa's POV

"Mom, I'm home!" I announce as I close the front door behind me, I throw my bag down on the floor and peak into the office hoping that's where she might be. It sounds bad but I sort of hope she's busy, today has been a lot and I just want to go and read and hide away for a little while.

When I realise she's not in our office my next thought is the kitchen and as I approach I realise I'm right. I hear not just mom but a couple of different voices, Aunt Scarlett's being one of them. I take a breath and put on a smile.

"Hi family!" I try to sound my usual cheery self as I walk towards the the refrigerator to grab a drink, still not looking at anyone else in the room. I feel a kiss on my head as mom reaches above me for some chives "Hi sweetheart."

"Hey trouble, how was school?" Aunt Scar asks as I turn around. I give my usual response, that may or may not be a lie. "It was fine, I have some homework I need to go and do." It's only then I realise that John Stevens, Mom's lawyer who processed my adoption, is sat beside her at the island.

John gives me a little nod and a smile, thats when I notice the phone held up to his ear so I just smile slightly back.

Before I can tell them I'm going upstairs I hear little foot steps approaching. "MY LEXA"S HOME!" Rose squeals, instantly being shushed by her mom. She runs straight into my arms and I pick her up squeezing her in a tight hug. A hug I didn't realise I needed so much.

"Hi Rosebud" I mumble into her long hair that has sprawled across my face. "I missed you" she whispers looking straight into my eyes as her legs cross around my back. "I saw you yesterday" I tease her while poking a finger into her side, her giggles fill the room and I try to quiet her.

Eventually she just cuddles back into my neck for a few seconds, she's so cute I seriously can't cope with how sweet she is. 4 years old and she makes my shitty day a million times better with one sentence. "Well that was too long."

"Momma since we aren't going to live with Colin anymore can I live with Lexa?" She says casually, I look up at Mom and Aunt Scarlett who both have a mix between a smile and a frown on their faces.

From what I know Aunt Scarlett's divorce has been finalised and at the weekend she sat Rose down and explained it all to her. Well explained it the best you can to a 4 year old.

I overheard Aunt Scarlett tell mom she's not surprised Rose doesn't really care, she never saw Colin as a dad figure more just her momma's husband that lives with them. Apparently that's the worst part of it for Scar, but I do my best to keep Rose distracted from it all. That also explains why John is here, he must be sorting some legal stuff.

"Well that's everything officially done. The house is now solely in your name" John tells Scarlett as he hangs up the phone, he turns to me again. "My favourite little Olsen, how was school?" he asks knowing how much I love hearing my name as Olsen, even now when it's been months. "Um yeah it was fine, school's school." I reply before turning back to Rose.

~~

Not long after, mom shows John out he ruffles mine and Rose's hair as he passes. I put Rose down and she scurries over to Aunt Scar who is looking through some paperwork. "ALEXA CAN YOU PLEASE MOVE THIS BAG FROM THE DOOR" Mom calls through, I rush to her and pick it up "Yeah, sorry mom." I apologise and go to the small closet to hang it up.

I feel a hand on my arm as I go to turn back to the kitchen "Hey, you haven't been quite yourself recently is everything okay?" Mom asks quietly as I turn to look at her.

Don't cry Alexa, don't cry.

"Yeah I'm just tired, being in high school is tough." I reply. It's technically not a lie, just not the whole truth. Mom doesn't look away from my face as if she's trying to figure something out. "I know I've been a little busy with work and helping Scar, but you're still my number one priority Alexa. You'll tell me if there's something wrong won't you?" Her voice is serious as it always when she tells me I'm her priority.