Chapter 120: Ned and Betty are confusing

Home sweet home. Peter and I walk through the Newark Liberty International Airport, hand in hand. It was familiar and not as weird as I thought it would be. A bunch of families were waiting for their returning kids. We stop walking for a moment.

'You wanna say hi to May?' He asks.

'Is that even a question?' I said. 'Yes, I want to say hi to May.'

Peter rolls his eyes. 'Of course. How stupid am I.'

I smile but can't retort as Betty and Ned come up to us.

'You guys are so cute,' Betty said.

'Thanks,' Peter said, as we turn to look at them. 'We were thinking—'

'He was thinking,' I correct.

He grips my hand harder, and I let go shaking my hand and glaring at him. He just ignores me.

'Anyway, I was thinking we should all, I don't know, like go on a double date or something,' Peter continued.

'Oh, we broke up,' the two said together.

'No. What? Why?'

'Yeah, you two were so happy for like a week,' I said, fake sympathy in my voice. Peter pinches my wrist. 'What?' I said, glaring at him. That actually hurt.

'Play nice,' he said.

'That was actually me being nice,' I argue. He shakes his head at me, and I huff. 'You're a dork.'

'Men and women grow apart,' Ned said, ignoring us, 'but the journey they share together will always be a part of them.'

'Oh my god,' I say, covering my mouth with my hand to try and hide my laughter. I turn towards Peter who seemed as amused as me. I put my forehead on his shoulder composing myself before turning back to the two.

Betty puts her hand on Ned's cheek. 'You are so wise.'

'Thank you,' Ned said.

Betty walks off and we give Ned confused looks. Ned just shrugs with a smile. Peter and I glance at each other but decide to ignore it.

Peter and I walk out of the airport looking for May. We see her talking to a security guard and I smile.

'May!' Peter calls out to her.

She says something to the guard and then runs over to us. She gives Peter a hug and then gives me a hug.

'So glad you're both okay,' May says.

'No. For real, I'm good. I'm actually really... fine,' Peter said. I nod.

'Maya, Pepper asked me to take you home,' May said. 'She said she didn't want to bring Morgan. But they both really want to see you so I'm gonna drop you off quickly. Come on.' I nod as Peter, and I start to follow her to the car. 'Where are your bags? Oh, right. They got blown up.'

'Yeah,' I said, chuckling.

May hands a paper bag to Peter. 'I got you some hot buttered bagels.'

'Thank you so much,' Peter said, his face lighting up. I try not to laugh as we get in the car.