Falling

(Recommended song to accompany the writing in the upper description)

Namjoon opened the door, and knew immediately he had made a mistake. The atmosphere of the bedroom felt weird, so before entering he left the door ajar, to examine what it was that unsettled him.

The dim light on the nightstand created lazy shadows on his wife's bony bare back, turned to him. A thin trail of smoke made Namjoon shrink in sorrow, as she was smoking again and by the smell, definitely not tobacco. She just smoked marihuana when things got really stressful, that being a custom of busy and competitive Japan. Sometimes he wondered how people survived in this jungle of neon skyscrapers and high expectations; maybe just faking it.

As she was drowning her sorrows, Namjoon felt pity and an urge to hug her, but he stopped just when he noticed an overpowering femenine cologne. Fruity with a floral touch, very feminine and definitely not her style. The.cologne.was.not.hers.

He then took in some specific elements in the room: the used pair of unfamiliar knickers, the severely unmade bed sheets, her messy hair, the multiple red lipstick marks along her spine and neck... Yeah, Naoko did indeed have some fun without him.

A sudden anger and a sense of impotence made Namjoon slam the door open, and Naoko jumped back in fear. The lit joint fell to the silk rug and none of them noticed.

'You fucking whore'

Naoko's eyes gleamed in shame, and she quickly covered her breasts. No justification came out of her mouth, she didn't even try, and that stuck in Namjoon's conscience. Where a crime had no proper justification, that meant the crime was from the root of the heart.

'What have you done?' he insisted.

Both started crying in silence, looking at each other's eyes realizing their bond would never be the same.

Something else lighted little by little the bedroom, a natural flare that heated up as their argument did too. Smoke and flames engulfed them. Neither of them screamed. Namjoon cried as Naoko opened the window to the pitch-black night of Tokyo, and the towel fell from her hips as she jumped and went to ground.

The end.

This was a short narrative essay I had to do for class, it had to start with "Simon opened the door, and knew immediately he had made a mistake". But why having Simon when you can have Namjoon XD 🤭

Did you like it? It's my first time writing a conceptual story in English, I think I did right :)

-Spanish unnie ❣️