Forever and Ever

1.

All living things evolve -- change is in our nature. However, is change real?

All things -- rocks, water, basic chemicals -- are broken down and, over time, alter in appearance, but there is no inherent change. Matter and energy are constant at the most basic level. We exist with only the appearance of change -- with only our perception of change.

Because our perception is all we know, we live with this appearance of, and what we believe is, change and, yet, the thing humans are most resistant to is change. We don't want to grow old, much less die; even though it will make no difference to us once we're gone. Why spend a life fretting and worrying about an afterlife when it is just that -- an AFTER life?

Look at it this way; do you remember anything before you were born? Don't talk to me about past lives; we're discussing the average human experience here.

I’m guessing the answer is NO. No… hmmm. Do you care about what happened before you were born? Once again… No.

So… why should you care what happens after you are gone? Assuming, of course there is no afterlife.

By the way, it’s not called the afterlife for nothing. We can't even conceive of it until we experience it -- if there is anything to experience.

2.

If God left us the bible and Jesus is his son. If we were his children, wouldn’t he expect us to grow up and mature?

If we are his children, our lives here must model a form and purpose intended.

Hence, the Old Testament could be a primary reader for the human race -- a how-to survival guide. Don't eat pork (trichinoses) or shellfish (cholesterol). As a strict parent with his children, He kept control primarily using fear and intimidation with the right motives, only occasionally speaking of His love for us.

Nevertheless, He wants us to grow up.

The New Testament is the book for humanity as teen -- filled with God’s love and forgiveness and the relationship between father and son -- no more smiting and floods.

So… what’s next?

I’m waiting for the sequel. It’s time we grew up.