"No!" Alina nearly choked on her tea.

"Only the Queen knows for sure. He's a bit of a black sheep anyway. He insisted on doing his military service in the infantry, then he apprenticed to a gunsmith."

Yelena started to hate the conversation. Don't get her wrong, she likes gossiping with her sister and friend while drinking tea, but only when it was fun and silly gossip; a Grisha having a fight over a useless boy, something stupid the Queen said, two teachers getting together. Silly gossip, not the kind where they spoke about the young prince being a bastard, that wasn't fun. And she hated herself a little for that, she didn't know a thing about the man or situation, and still managed to sympathize with him. You are the Moon Summoner girl, you'll always be in the middle Baghra said to her once and the words stayed with her.

"So he's never been at court?" Alina questioned.

"Not in years. I think he's off studying ship-building or something equally dull. He'd get along well with David." Genya said, sourly.

"It's not dull, it's actually very interesting if you give it a chance." Yelena said, sipping her hot tea.

"You find everything interesting, Lena." Her sister spoke, when she looked at Genya. "What do you two talk about, anyway?"

The red-head sighed before answering. "The usual. Life, love, the melting point of iron ore. He's shy but funny. At least I think so. Maybe you should ask Yelena, they have spoken more in a few weeks than us in years."

"Really?" Alina looked at her sister, slightly surprised he was friends with the Fabrikator.

"We talk about dull things, or we sit in silence." the older one shrugged.

"Why didn't you tell me you hang out with David?" the little Starkov asked, her brows furrowed.

"You never asked."

"Do I need to ask?"

"I always ask about your day, Alina. Oh, and your friends. What you ate, how you slept." Yelena looked sharply at her sister, who felt silent. Alina had never seen her sister upset with her, she would just change the subject and avoid the confrontation. "Well, I'm going now."

Yelena left her cup on the glass table, then stood up to go but her sister's voice made her stop.

"Are you really going to look for him when we are finally having a good time together?"

Yelena turned around, her face wasn't serene anymore. "Whats that supposed to mean?"

"You are different now, I can tell. You are distant and meaner than usual. You don't even hang out with me anymore. Spending too much time with him is making you.."

"What, Alina? Cold? Evil?" Yelena snorted when her little sister fell silent. "I search for you when I have free time, or at night so we can eat together but you are too busy with your Etherealki friends drinking kvas. You, little sis, fit in. I don't. That's why I spend my time reading, training, and yes, with the General. He at least asks how I've slept, or if I ate."

"But Yelena..." junior Starkov was now standing, sorry written on her face, but the senior didn't want to hear her.

"Don't, Alina. I'm done moving my life to suit your necessities. We are not children anymore, you are old enough to take care of yourself. And better start doing it."

Yelena left after that, she walked through the Little Palace with her chin lifted, not giving anyone a glance as Trevor's words echoed in her head. Be selfish, you deserve better.