chapter 16 • which i hadn't actually had since him and pepper started dating

Start from the beginning

"look, cherry, i'm really sorry about the dance. i didn't want to leave you behind, but i had to go to a meeting." he apologized.

"dude, i already forgave you." i said.

"good. because i signed up for the football team." mateo said, showing me his new locker.

"what is he doing in here?" sawyer scoffed, pointing at spade.

"i joined the team." mateo repeated.

"so, you and pepper have been dating for a while. how's that going?" newt changed the topic.

sawyer shrugged, and turned at the mention of pepper.

"we're in no rush to get serious." sawyer said, and started texting his mom.

"oh my god! i just sent a message saying i love you to pepper! it was meant for my mom!" sawyer panicked.

"have fun with that." i laughed, grabbing my perfume.

i walked out of the locker room, to the field.

the entire time we played, sawyer tackled mateo for no reason, and charlotte loudly cheered for troy.

we huddled up, and bella gave us directions. we stopped playing, while bella complained.

i had a small conversation with sawyer, which i hadn't actually had since him and pepper started dating.

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

i sat at the starcade booth, eating a slice of pizza.

"okay, do you think when sawyer texted i love you, did he mean will you wear my bulldogs jacket to the playoff games, or did he just mean i love you like i love tater tot's?" pepper asked.

"who actually likes tator tots?" i asked.

"i think i love you means he loves you." sophie said.

"can't you guys ever just be good friends and tell me my boyfriend doesn't love me?" pepper asked, with a huff.

"listen, i know this is stressful, but you've gotta respond to sawyer."

"what do i say? i'm not ready for this. i thought he was the strong, silent type, not the lovey dovey texty type."

"just send him something, anything."

"okay. i'm doing it. i'm doing it."

"and, send. there. done."

"what did you say?"

"i have no idea."

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

i sat on bella's bean bag.

"the problem is, if i tell troy the truth before the game, he'll fall apart in front of the scout and never get into his dream school." bella complained.