30. A Group Reformed with Bad News Given and A Lesson Abandoned

Harry's POV

Harry sat in Snape's office, literally wanting to kick himself. After deciding to mess with Malfoy after his disgusting comments towards Hagrid, Harry just had to mess it up and get caught.

Despite his best efforts to get back to the castle quicker than Malfoy, he found himself subject to Snape's interrogations; and now he would soon find himself subject to Lupin's disappointment.

After Snape found the Marauder's Map, the weirdly worst possible outcome for the situation occurred and the map began insulting Snape. So now, for whatever reason, Harry had watched as Snape seized some glittering powder and threw it into the fireplace.

Snape demanded Lupin for a word and soon after Harry watched in utter bewilderment as a large shape appeared in the flames, revolving very fast, and seconds later Professor Lupin was clambering out of the fireplace; brushing ash off his shabby robes.

"You called, Severus?" said Lupin mildly.

"I certainly did," Snape began, however he was cut of by the fire roaring again and another shape coming through the flames.

Another few seconds later, surprisingly, (Y/N) had clambered out of the fireplace. He was coughing up some ash and, like Lupin, brushing off his robes.

"(L/N)?" Snape said in a mix of confusion and contempt. "Why are you here?"

"Yes, I do believe I asked you to wait in my office," said Lupin.

"And why was he in your office?" asked Snape.

"I don't believe that's why you asked me here, Severus, is it?"

"No," said Snape, his voice contorted with fury as he strode back to his desk. "I have just asked Potter to empty his pockets. He was carrying this."

Snape held up the parchment, on which the insults of Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs were still shining.

An odd, closed expression appeared on Lupin's face. As well as a not so odd (or undeserved) furious expression forming on (Y/N)'s face.

"Well?" said Snape.

Lupin continued to stare at the map. Harry had the impression that Lupin was doing some very quick thinking.

"Well?" said Snape again. "This parchment is plainly full of Dark Magic. This is supposed to be your area of expertise, Lupin. Where do you imagine Potter got such a thing?"

"Full of Dark Magic?" said Lupin mildly. "Do you really think so, Severus? It looks to me as though it is merely a piece of parchment that insults anybody who tries to read it. Childish, but surely not dangerous? I imagine Harry got it from a joke shop —"

"Indeed?" said Snape. His jaw has gone rigid with anger. "You think a joke shop could supply him with such a thing? You don't think it more likely that he got it directly from the manufacturers?"

Harry spotted that both he and (Y/N) had no idea what Snape was talking about. Nor, apparently, did Lupin.

"You mean, from Mr Wormtail or one of the people?" he said. "Harry, do you know any of these people?"

"No," said Harry quickly.

"You see, Severus?" said Lupin, Turing back to Snape. "It looks like a Zonko's product to me —"

Right on cue, Ron came bursting into the office. He was completely out of breath, and stopped just short of Snape's desk, clutching the stitch in his chest and trying to speak.

"I — gave — Harry — that — stuff," he choked. "Bought — it — in — Zonko's— ages — ago . . ."

"Well!" said Lupin, clapping his hands together and looking around cheerfully. That seems to clear that up! Severus, I'll take this back, shall I?" He folded the map and tucked it inside his robes. "Harry, (Y/N), Ron come with me, I need a word about my vampire essay. Excuse us, Severus."