𝟏𝟖 | 𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

♥

Fingers still entangled, Scaramouche and Y/n walked closely next to each other. They both attempted to hide the display of affection and felt themselves sweating. At times, their shoulders would bump against each other and they would overreact to the slightest change in proximity.

The pedestrians in Liyue paid no mind as they went on with their day, but the two thought otherwise. Their faces were burning red by the time Zhongli and Childe finally turned around to check how they were doing.

"Heh, you both look like inexperienced virgins!" Childe's eyes curved in amusement as he gingerly raised Zhongli's hand. He interlaced his fingers with the other man's hand shamelessly in broad daylight, jeering at the other duo.

Zhongli coughed, elegantly removing his hand and slowly dusting his gloves off. With a steely gaze at the ginger, he changed his focus to the building he stopped at.

"I'd like to introduce you to the Bubu Pharmacy. It is important to know of this place in case any of you get injured or emergencies occur." He strolled into the pharmacy, leading the rest of the group.

"Mister Baizhu will surely help when such a time comes- though hopefully, it won't," Zhongli smiled as the mentioned man appeared from behind the counter.

"Well isn't it lively today?" Baizhu chuckled, peering at them in interest. "I've never seen you two before. Foreigners?"

"They are my comrades!" Childe answered for his coworkers and Baizhu smiled.

"I see. Well, I am quite busy today so if you need anything, feel free to ask Qiqi. She should be able to tell you where the herbs are," he walked away as his head pointed towards the empty counter.

"Q-Qiqi?" Y/n felt her steps lighten as she hopped towards the front counter, leaning over in expectation. She didn't even notice her hand slip away from Scaramouche's.

There she was. The child. The cute little munchkin.

"Hello..." the girl noticed Y/n towering above her and placed a finger on her lips, pondering.

"She's...too cute..." Y/n felt overwhelmed at the sight of her as she silently gushed over the child who was very much confused.

"How irresponsible, leaving a child to do all the work," Scaramouche laughed, crossing his arms. He looked at Qiqi with a nasty face, clearly not caring that she was a child. Y/n's attitude towards the child was completely different from how she was like towards him and that only intensified his dislike for the innocent minor.

Luckily, she was an absent-minded child that didn't pay him any mind as she continued to stare at Y/n.

"Do you need something?" Qiqi's soft voice blessed Y/n's ears as she leaned over the counter like a melting pudding.

Hearing it face to face was completely different from hearing it through her earbuds. At this very moment, she strongly believed that she lived to hear Qiqi's soothing voice.

"No, I'm fine. I got this from cocogoat! Would you like to have it?" Y/n pulled out a bottle of coconut milk she saved from Mondstadt. It was a good thing that she asked Diluc about it. Turns out the owner of the prosperous wine industry is knowledgeable of the market as a whole and not just about alcohol.

"Cocomilk...!" Qiqi's eyes widened and her small hands reached out in excitement. She made a small jump and grasped the bottle tightly with a rare smile.

"Qiqi is happy. Thank you," she stared at Y/n before sipping the milk in delight.

"You are good with children," Zhongli mused, thoughtfully looking at Y/n. She turned to him and noticed how the air changed. He was wary of her before, but he lowered his guard down after seeing Y/n's kindness towards Qiqi.

"Haha...I'm just fond of cute things," she laughed it off and warmly looked at the young receptionist. "Especially those that deserve to be loved when they didn't have the chance."

She recalled Qiqi's backstory and felt sad that the child died so young. She wouldn't have been here now, had the adepti not changed their minds and revived her.

As the sentimental story hit her, Scaramouche observed from behind. A mixed feeling of jealousy and unfairness nudged him as he looked at Qiqi, who was savoring the milk she received from Y/n.

He was born unloved. His purpose was to be used as a tool, a puppet. He was Raiden Shogun's prototype and thrown away when deemed unnecessary.

So why don't you pay attention to me?

For the first time in his life, Scaramouche yearned to be loved- rather he realized that all this time he desired affection. His ego masked his longing, which he saw as his weakness.

Childe broke the silence with a cheery suggestion. "Well then, the next stop shall be Wanmin Restaurant! I know you'll love this one, Y/n!"

She snapped out of her daze along with Scaramouche and beamed at the implication of food. "Oh my Guoba! I've been dying to taste those Golden Shrimp Balls and Paimon!"

"Paimon?"

"Guoba?"

Childe and Zhongli were startled at the familiar names.

"Let's go, besties! Can't wait to eat my dear emergency food!" Y/n ignored their confusion and dragged them out the pharmacy door with her arms linked around theirs.

The Balladeer was left behind and he knew Y/n did so deliberately.

"Watch me eat you up one day..."

His mutter went unheard.