Chapter Twenty Nine: She's What?

Start from the beginning

Softly, she smiled, then Slughorn went back to greeting the new flow of guests coming. At the center of the dining area was a round table with fine silverware and platers of rolls. Well-dressed members were already seated, some including Lily Evans, Alice Fortescue(a Hufflepuff beater), and Lucious Malfoy with Mason Avery at his side.

Regulus pulled open her seat for her and she sat down just as Severus Snape entered. They locked eyes for a moment, but he quickly took his spot next to Mason Avery. Ignoring the sting, Freya took a sip of water as did Regulus, who was avoiding eye contact with most people, but accidentally snagged Lily's, this caused a domino effect on the guest.

Now Lily was also very thirsty and intently drinking making Alice notice the odd air and sip her water as well. Lucious, always wanting to be in the social loop, then started drinking his water assuming it was the high quality that made everyone so keen. Mason, well aware that it was not the high quality, but simply finding it amusing how everyone else was doing it also joined, resulting in Severus participating as well.

Its end product was Slughorn and Barty Crouch Jr. stumbling upon several thirsty individuals silently gulping down water. "Is it too hot in here? I can open a window if you like?"

"No need, Professor," Lily answered, setting down her cup and wiping her mouth with the back of her hand slightly, this earned an eye roll from Avery that cause daggers to shoot out of Freya's eyes.

"Such a fine quality of water; reminds me of when my family visited Madrid." Lucious held up his cup. "Slughorn, mind sharing where you got this?"

"Just the kitchens, as usual, Malfoy." Slughorn shrugged.

"Mhmm." Carefully, Lucious nodded his head and set his cup back down.

Regulus had to bite his lip to stop from laughing and simply smiled into a bread roll instead. Barty, despite there being many other open seats, sat down right next to Freya, noting how the corner of her lips was squeezing slightly to hide her smile. Freya could not believe Narcissa was dating this oaf.

"Hello, Professor." A tall sun-kissed boy with broad shoulders and brown hair came through the door followed by a shorter much darker girl with bouncing curls and a purple floral dress.

"Come on in Mr. Longbottom and Ms. MacDonald, we're just about to start supper." Slughorn waved them over and took his seat.

Everyone(excluding Avery and Sev) greeted them with a slight nod as they sat down. Barty gave his nod over his glass of water, taking a good sip then noting lowly. "This really is some good water."

Freya tilted her head down, the only indication that she heard him being the barest flicker of a crease around her mouth.

Dinner went on as usual(some students coming in slightly later), Slughorn steering the conversation to where he saw fit and in a manner that would highlight the most achievements. Freya did not mind this part of the evening, it let her learn her classmate's strengths and weaknesses and indirectly allowed herself to get boosted better in higher circles, but it also meant she had to listen to the mind-numbing bragging of Lucious Malfoy for over thirty minutes.

"So, my father has already spoken to the minister about the position." He said, finishing the last of his steak. "I should be able to start at the end of this year."

"Good to see you have things all figured out for your future." Slughorn very much regretted complimenting his tie. "And now, I'm very curious about your plans Ms. Evans after school ends?"

Lily swallowed the chocolate cake in her mouth quickly. "What do you mean professor?"

"All the teachers rave about you, top of your class, prefect, and very popular among students." He smiled and Lily turned slightly pink as she attentively listen to him, but Freya was very content with her getting her praises sung. Slughorn thought about it for a moment. "With your skills and determination, you could be a minister."

"Oh, no." Lily refuted.

Avery laughed a little. "Course not."

Both he and Lucious found amusement in a hidden joke that caused Freya's eyes to turn into cold obsidian. Slughorn tilted his head confused. "Pardon?"

"No, it's just she's..." Avery trailed off, suddenly noticing how little people actually were agreeing with his comment. "She's a..."

"She's what?" Alice leaned forward, her brows raised.

Lily sat very still for a moment, slightly flushed. Everyone knew what he was hinting at, but Alice wanted him to say it and sometimes Lily wished they would just outright admit it.

"Weren't you interested in becoming an Auror?" Mary pipped up. "That's what you said last year for job planning, right?" Sweetly, she locked eyes with Lily.

"Yeah." Lily swallowed, silently thanking her. "I've been looking at programs."

Severus eyed Mary, her nose was very soft and round as was most of her flesh. She was either in Regulus' year or younger. Aside from Lily, she was the only other muggle born at the table. The girl was very good at herbology and healing which Slughorn found out accidentally round out recently since she was not one to speak about it. Truth be told, she only joined because her friend, Frank, said it might be fun.

"If you ever need any recommendations, I am more than willing," Slughorn said, then turned his attention to the other side of the table. "Same goes for you, Ms. Grey."

"Thank you, sir." Freya nodded, removing her glare off of Avery.

"Are you going to be an Auror as well?" Frank asked, curiously.

"She should be with her DA skills." Barty eyed Freya in a way that almost made her blush. "Knocked me on my arse a few times." A smirk landed on his lips as he admired her beauty and brilliance. "I doubt anyone would stand much a chance."

"Well, that's won't be very fun then," Freya replied, meeting his gaze.

"Let's hope beating Barty isn't the only requirement for the Aurors, or else we're all damned." Avery teased, breaking through their little moment.

Chuckles left the table, including Barty himself, which made Freya notice the little dimple on his cheek.

"Luckily, I have other plans." The thin boy raised an eyebrow at Avery slightly, Freya looked at him slightly interested and then he smiled, suddenly turning to Regs. "And do you know what you're planning to do after school ends?"

The Black heir stopped breathing for a second and a soft furrow formed between Freya's brows. It looked like his face was drained of blood, but then it quickly shifted. For the smallest second, she could see his mother in his face. "Quidditch, hopefully."

"How adventurous." Barty complimented taking a sip of his drink, but there was something not quite pure about his words.

Ever so discreetly, Freya caught Regulus' finger under the table and curled hers around it. He squeezed it gently and felt the tension leave his shoulders. As his finger stroked her hand lightly, he couldn't help but notice the little scratch on her hand that wasn't there last week.