CHAPTER SEVENTEEN | Slow Dancing

Start from the beginning

The waiter makes an 'O' shape with his mouth and bows before walking away.

"What was that all about?"

He shrugs. "He did some shit to me back at home and works here during the summer," I slowly nod. "And his parents own the restaurant. Before you say 'why didn't he recognize you' it was the first day of high school and I was some loner and he happened to be one of the bullies and beat me up- verbally."

"You're kidding? Why would he do that?"

"Don't ask me, I don't even know." He replies, grabbing the menu. "But I waited until the first day of senior year and I got him back. He did some damage to me mentally and I returned it physically and I know I shouldn't but I can't even speak for myself. It was messed up."

"At least you acknowledged it, and know. That's a big step and I admire that of you." I say, grabbing his hands. "Thank you for sharing that with me, let's eat and we can talk more."

Kylo nods and the guy comes back. "What may I get for you guys tonight?"

Kylo goes first. "I'll get the steak and for her..."

"I'll get the lemon grass covered salmon."

"Coming right up."

*****

Kylo sips on the wine that was brought to us a while ago. I take one last bite of my now cold food.

Too focused on how the food felt in my mouth, Kylo places the glass down and uses his thumb to wipe the sauce on my lip. "You had something."

"Thank you... for doing that."

"It was nothing, really."

Shaking my head I grab the towel and pat my lip. "It means something to me though." He looks at me but doesn't say anything. "Erik- he never did things like that. Well at least as our relationship grew." I scoff and look him in the eyes. "And to be honest it was nothing serious or so I thought. As we went out more and went on dates, his attention was never on me and it was always his phone."

Kylo straightens himself and places his elbows on the table, locking his fingers together.

"It was someone else who stole his attention, someone who was interesting, someone more lovable than me." I lean back in my chair and take a hold of the glass and sip the blackberry flavored drink. "He was someone who I admired and looked up to, because he was a childhood friend who grew into a lover. I thought he'd never break my heart but life doesn't always go according to plan." I swirl the liquid around and bite my lip. "I shouldn't be talking about an ex on our first date, I'm sorry."

Kylo takes my hand and rubs a thumb over my knuckle. "Stop worrying, it's fine. I'm not offended or anything, I'm actually glad that you're sharing this with me."

He stands up and pulls me up with him. "How about we talk about this when we go back home- and it's not because I don't want to, it's just that if you still wanna go to the rooftop before the starting song ends we better go."

Smiling, I grip his hand tighter and he brings us towards the elevator and presses the fourth floor.

The elevator dings and the doors open revealing string lights strung above us, going from pole to pole. Lighting the entire area and creating an atmosphere that screams calm and loving. I look around and see tables on the side with candles in the middle with flowers that sit next to it.

A man stops us right as we exit the elevator. "Name?"

"Kylo Storm and Katalina Nai, there's a list?"