"Morning, sunshine," Risa says, grogginess filling her voice.

"I thought we said to never use cheesy names for each other."

"It's amusing in an ironic way. And anyway, not even a simple 'good morning'?"

"Good morning."

"Very funny. Let me get up, please."

Connor rolls his eyes and pulls himself out of bed, figuring out whether all women are indecisive in their emotions or if it makes Risa unique. He accidentally bumps his elbow into the nightstand and mutters a low curse that he hopes Risa didn't hear. She gives him a playful slap on the wrist and leaves the room. He takes the short time she's gone to dress himself for the day.

When she returns, he steps out and allows her time to get changed. The hallway floor creaks beneath his feet as he heads toward the stairs and descends into the living room. Only then does he realize he doesn't know the time. No matter. His and Risa's interview with show host Neil Nadine isn't for another three days. Before then, he has plenty of time to enjoy with Risa and his family, even if they're going into each day blindly.

"Morning, Mom," he greets as he enters the kitchen. His mother is sitting at the round table off in the dining room, a cup of steaming coffee between her hands. She glances up from her trance at the sound of his voice. "You and Dad sleep well?"

"I did, but he didn't," is all she says. She tries to offer him a smile, but he can sense the forcefulness behind it. "What about you and Risa?"

"Slept like babies. Seen Lucas this morning?"

"Not yet."

Small talk is not Connor's strong suit; it's something he genuinely hates. The problem is, he doesn't know how to talk to his parents anymore. Though he's willing to forgive them with time, every interaction is filled with awkward conversations and forced laughters that shroud their feelings. Risa has chided him several times for not taking a stronger initiative, but he hasn't recovered from the two years his parents unknowingly subjected him to. As much as he wishes that they could paint over those dark times, it's just not that simple.

The others enter the kitchen half past eight, and they eat a silent breakfast broken only by spoons clanking against bowls. Risa pats Connor's knee and shoots him a glance. You should try starting a simple conversation, at least, her eyes say. Well, that won't be a walk in the park, but he supposes it might be worth a shot.

How wrong he was to make assumptions.

"So, Mom told me you didn't sleep too well last night," Connor starts. He makes eye contact with his father, who hardly looks up afterward. "Something troubling you?"

"No, it's nothing," his dad brushes off. "Just couldn't fall asleep."

"Come on, Dad. You and I both know that's a lie. You never had insomnia issues before . . ." His voice dissipates, waving the first red flag that he should've shut his mouth.

"Well, a lot's changed between now and then." Having only eaten a few bites of cereal, his father excuses himself and dumps the contents into the trash. Connor notes the aggravation in his voice.

"Please, Dad," he presses. "I just wanna know if there's something I can do to help."

"Connor," Risa warns, grasping his shoulder. A sharp pain aches in his seams, but he ignores it. "Let it go."

"Know what? There is something you can do." Connor notices his father's eyes fill with a few tears. "You and your girlfriend here can leave."

He and Risa are taken aback. Lucas stands up but keeps silent. Their mother sits but grabs his father's arm similar to Risa.