Prologue

Terran year 2138, 67 Terran years before the Founding

'How could this be happening?' Cooper thought as she buttoned up her coat, the formal brass buttons giving her problems. 'Considering the fact that this is the third time I have had had to wear this getup in the past year you would think that I would be used to it by now. Why can't they use zippers instead?'

After she finally finished buttoning up the coat, she looked at herself in the floor-length mirror. The reflected image showed a medium height woman with green eyes and medium-length dark brown hair. She was wearing the officer dress uniform of a member of Her Majesty's Space Forces.

Unlike most people, her version of the uniform had a lot of colour. Namely, she wore the red, white, and blue sash and badge for the Order of the Grand Senate. Further down the sash was the badge for the Greater United States of the Americas' Legion of Merit, followed by the Nipponese Order of the Precious Crown, and the Order of Victoria. She also wore an assortment of medals on her left breast.

 She also wore an assortment of medals on her left breast

The Order of the Grand Senate

"The Alliance really likes' to heap important medals and orders of merit to people who go on suicide missions." She thought as she put on her officer's cap.

On the front of the cap sat the symbol of Her Majesty's Space Forces. It consisted of a stylized golden rocket in front of the Earth and Luna with the Britanian Crown emblazoned on top of it all. She had always liked the symbol as opposed to the other branches of the armed forces. 'At least it's not an anchor or two rifles crossed. Besides the hue of the Earth gives it a bit of colour.'

Symbol of Her Majesty's Space Forces

After all, the uniform consisted of a long white coat piped in black with black pants, black socks, and black shoes. Other than for some gold embroidery here and there, it was practically monochromatic.

'Okay, I am as ready as I am going to be,' she thought as she adjusted her cap one last time before heading off to the bridge.

It wasn't a very long walk before she arrived. As the automatic doors opened, she gave a crisp salute to the other two officers on the bridge. Both of whom were wearing dress uniforms. "Commander Cooper reporting as ordered."

"Ahh Cooper," the thin blonde Admiral said in a friendly manner, a smile showing his good mood. "As punctual as ever."

"Sir," the woman named Cooper responded.

"Be at ease," Admiral Duflot ordered.

"Yes sir," came Cooper's quick response.

"Do we really have to name this planet after me? Who could have imagined finding three Habitable planets in the first of the two stars we have to explore."

"I had the same 'honor' when we found the second planet. Now it is your turn," the third officer in the room chimed in, his eyes twinkling with mirth.

"Simmons, you're supposed to be on my side!" Cooper said in a joking manner.

Simmons merely chuckled in response, as did Duflot.

As she looked at the tall, dark-haired Captain Simmons, she noticed some differences in their badges. Instead of the female-only Order of the Precious Crown, he was a member of the Order of the Rising Sun. Instead of wearing the Order of Victoria Simmons was wearing the Order of Saint Michael.

Then Cooper looked over at Admiral Duflot. His awards were in a totally different league than that of her or Simmons. First of all, the very stripes of his sash were different from Simmon's or her own. That was because he was wearing the badge for the highest award in the Alliance. Namely, the Order of the Alliance. This award could only be given if the sitting President and the two Monarchs agreed to it. This honor was so important that it consisted of the Great Seal of the Alliance on a silver and gold background. The next awards were the GUSA Presidential Order of Freedom, the Order of the Rising Sun, and the Order of the Bath. All of these were extremely rare honors.

 All of these were extremely rare honors

The Order of the Alliance

"Come on and bring in the chair," Duflot ordered. Moments later, two crewmen bought in a mahogany side chair and placed it directly in front of the main viewscreen.

"Come on people, take your positions! This is an important picture!" Duflot commanded the crewmen left on the Bridge.

Simmons ordered, "I want the best image that we have of the planet to be put up on the main viewer."

Within a moment, the crewmen filled the usually dim and quiet bridge with light and activity.

"Let's get this over with," Cooper groused. "I have other things to do before I go back on shift."

This comment brought laughter from everyone within earshot. Until they arrived at the planet in question there was little for the officers to do except to read a book.

Finally, the preparations were complete, and the three officers started bickering over who would sit and who would stand.

"Today is your day," Simmons protested when Cooper offered Simmons the chair. "I've already had my turn when we named that other planet Simmon's World."

Then she turned and bowed to the fair-haired man, "Duflot, as your scion I want to honor you in my stead. Please have a seat."

"Since you worded things the way that you did I have no choice but to receive this honor in your place," Came Duflot's response. "However, this planet will still be named after you."

"Oh boy," Cooper said with an exaggerated sigh. "I still think this is a silly thing to do.," Cooper groused as she took her place next to Simmons and behind the chair.

"Is everybody ready?" The crewman with the camera asked.

"Let's go!" Simmons ordered.

The trio repeatedly heard the shutter open and close as the crewman took multiple shots in quick succession.

"So what should we name this one?" the crewman asked.

"It shall be known as "The Discovery of Cooper's World"," came Duflot's quick reply.