Chapter 12

Beibhinn sat on the furs in the corner of Ruadhan's cell, thinking. Ruadhan was asleep in the far corner. 

He seemed to spend far too much time sleeping these days. Perhaps it was the warmer air, or the newfound comfort of the blankets...Sleep is good, she told herself, sleep brings healing... She herself didn't dare anything more than the occasional doze.

What was An Beitheach's game now? These last  few days had seen him strangely, eerily kind. In and out he had come during the daytime, enquiring as to their needs and wishes. He had tried to draw her into speech too, to find and discuss her interests and pleasures but she had remained obdurate.

More flies are caught with honey than vinegar. Whichever he tries, he shall not catch me.

Beibhinn leaned her head back against the stone of the wall, her eyes following the long slant of sunlight falling from the ceiling. There was a small inlet up there, but it was too far above for her to reach and too small to escape through even if she could get to it. Now though was the time to be searching for escape more than ever, when perhaps his mood of sweetness would cause him to withdraw some vigilance...

Or would it? That was the thing - one never knew.  

She had tried to converse with Meadhbh when she had come bringing food. Although she had never gotten anything from her about herself or her past, she had seemed to end an ear to Beibhinn's suggestions that she show her a way out. But two days ago was the last time Meadhbh had come. Since then, food had been left in the passage outside, and she had not seen who brought it.

She started from her thoughts as the door scraped over the stone floor. Though it came Meadhbh, so silently that her feet made not the slightest sound, nor did her dress even whisper. Beibhinn got to her feet.  

She has been painting her face, she thought as she looked at the other girl, and what a hames she has made of it too- what ghastly colours, and on only one eye.... 

With a quick glance around, Maedhbh came over closer, and Beibhinn realised with a shock that it was not paint.

"Are -" began Beibhinn, "Did - you hurt yourself?"

"I did not," replied Meadhbh in a whisper. 'How is he?" she added abruptly, pointing to Ruadhán as though she would change the subject.

"Much the same."

Meadhbh drew a length of soft fabric from inside her sleeve. "Do not worry about him," she said, "I shall care for him - if it remain within my power. Now," she continued, before Beibhinn could ask a question, "there are none about his morning and you must be gone. Let me tie your eyes so that if I am asked, I can say I showed you nothing."

"What do you mean?" said Beibhinn, frowning.

"Freedom," said Meabh, "escape. That which you want." she held up the cloth.

Beibhinn hesitated, her frown deepening.

"You do not trust me," said Meabh, her voice sharp with irritation, "Well let me say to you, that I may not be all I should be, but I am not a liar! Make your choice so, but you may not have this chance again."  

Beibhinn looked at her carefully - she was frightened. She would not be so if she were trying to deceive her, but only if she was about to cross an Beitheach.

"I trust you Meabh," she said. Closing her eyes she let the other girl bind the cloth about her face.

****

Maedhbh had walked her she knew not what ways, her feet stumbling on the uneven surfaces, trying hard not to flail a hand out to counter her blinded eyes. But she had not banged anything and now Beibhinn felt the air and ground growing warmer. In the distance came the faint sound of  birdsong. A soft draft brushed her face.