Chapter 20. June - Brothers

Start from the beginning

He wasn't Figbird for nothing.

His phone signaled and he dug it out of his coat pocket

His phone signaled and he dug it out of his coat pocket. It was of course from Lan Xichen.

A-Xi : You might be near Qinghe by now. Just wanted to wish you a good trip. I know I have before, but...humor me?

Sometimes it was impossible to believe that the single brightest star of the entire cultivation world, was not only fond of him, tolerated him...but far more unbelievably actually 'loved' him. And as much as he would like to doubt, to trust that this was a phase, something that would wither and die easily like a cut flower...these months together had begun to prove that the older man's feelings were anything but transient.

Oh he would do a lot more than 'humor', Nie Huaisang thought and quickly typed a response.

Huaisang: Ah you are too good A-Xi! Almost at the Unclean Realm now. I can see the mountains and the birds on the lake! Its so beautiful.

Lan Xichen was so pure of heart that he loved fully, gave himself without fear or reserve. And with this shocking thing, this staggering love, came loyalty and this determined need to see the best in Nie Huaisang, without diminishing how clever he could be.

This had thrown Huaisang off the deep end, into tumultuous waters. Lan Xichen was so good, too good for the likes of Huaisang, who couldn't possibly deserve such a kind, loving man. There was no equal footing, not in cultivation or in righteousness.

But they had so much in common! It was ridiculous.

Nie Huisang had been so sure that things would fall apart, forgetting that for some time they had preserved a friendship, that like with Meng Yao, Nie Huaisang had been given confidences time and time again to keep. That this brilliant sweet man had looked at him for reassurance and support.  

It was harder to deny how the taller man would light up when Huaisang smiled at him, or complimented him. How he would reach for Huaisang in a room crowded with people, better, prettier and far more talented that him.

Lan Xichen loves him and Heavens help him...he loves him in return. And he was pretty sure this was going to end in disaster.