1°C

MIDNIGHT
| CHAPTER SEVEN |

“The date was just amazing!” Kanda gushed as she did her stretches, her hair up in a high ponytail, her makeup extra preppy and exemplary cheerleader-quality. She was donned in her gold and black cheerleading uniform.

I, on the other hand, just simply threw on my sweater and jeans, as well as some tattered old sneakers. The only golden clothing on me was my hair tie and the thin chain bracelet encasing my wrist. I wasn’t a big fan of ice hockey, but Aunt Shelly and Uncle Ramon made it a tradition for us to attend the school ice hockey games. “Your dad was a natural at ice hockey,” he had insisted the first time he ushered us all into the car. “We have to go watch.”

Kanda did a cartwheel, giving me an award winning smile while her feet touched the ground. “He brought me out to Orso for dinner,” She said as she tightened her hair-tie. At the thought of Italian food, my stomach grumbled a little. Orso served one of the best Italian dishes in town. “It was lovely. There were candles on the tables, and he got me lilies! My absolute favourite,” She smiled. She had said the same thing when Keenan Harrison got her some roses for Prom a year back.

“Then he brought me to this bridge and we looked at the stars and he took his coat off and wrapped it around me instead because I was shivering, even though just a little bit.” She sighed. “He was wearing a thin hoodie underneath that showed off his fit stomach, and he said he wasn’t even cold. When I touched him, he indeed was real warm. He must’ve had a lot of muscles to protect him from the cold,” Kanda enthused giddily.

“That sounds nice,” Agatha said, placing a hand on her sister’s shoulder. Agatha was in a golden t-shirt under a black leather jacket on top. She was wearing black boots dad got for her 16th over black leggings. She looked beautiful without even trying. “I think Jev really is a lovely boy. He’s takes AP classes, you know? And he helped me out when my books fell in the public library the other day and smiled at me.” Agatha said, blushing at the memory.

Was… Agatha…

Swooning over a boy?

I grumbled, zipping up my jacket as I grabbed my bag. Three girls in my family, including me, are crushing over a same boy.

Well. Just my luck.

---

Half-time. We were winning. Kanda was leading a troop of beaming girls by the sides of rink, making twirls and professional ice-skater moves while she did. The other cheerleaders had pom-poms in their hands, and were chanting something I couldn’t hear over the loud whistling and cheering.

“I need to use the restroom,” I shouted as loud as possible to Aunt Shelly. She nodded and mouthed, stay safe. I nodded and manoeuvred through the large crowd. Using my slim stature as an advantage, I weaved in between people easily.

It was when I came out of the bathroom stall when I started to feel dizzy. The world began to spin and my vision blurred. Crap I thought.

Quick, Ed said in my head, go wash your face before it spreads.

It was already too late. It felt like my world had been tilted and I couldn’t even stand straight. With some help from Ed, I managed to stumble towards the sink, almost hitting the wall for a couple of times. I twisted the tap to the coldest temperature possible and splashed my face with the cool liquid. It didn’t seem to help much; my head was still spinning. I looked up into the mirror. My eyes were in an alarming shade of violet, my cheeks were pale and my fingers were trembling violently.