3°C

MIDNIGHT
| CHAPTER TWO |

Five years later

“Kanda, come on, get your shoes on!” Agatha yelled as Kanda practiced her cheerleading routine once again. She did a split, shooting me a killer-watt smile before getting up to her feet. She wasn’t even the least exhausted, one of the perks of being half vampire and half Xlinx.

“What do you think, Middie?” Kanda asked as she slipped into her shoes, grabbing her backpack. Her hair was pulled back in a flawless ponytail. She was donned in her skin-tight cheerleading uniform and her wrist was covered in gold and silver bangles that matched her ‘cheerio’ outfit. She was, as usual, perfect.

“Just fabulous,” I murmured under my breath as I took another spoonful of cereal. Agatha walked into the kitchen with a few letters in her hands. She took one look at me and sighed.

“Oh, come on, Midnight,” Agatha chided as she saw me still slurping on my breakfast. “The bus gonna come soon! I got to get to college too or I’ll be late.”

“You know I’ll make it on time. You guys go first. I’ll see you all in school,” I said.

“Yeah,” Agatha said sarcastically. “If Aunt Sally receives another call from Headmistress Jasper, you’re dead meat and I’m going to get yelled at for not getting your ass to school. You don’t even have advanced speed, Midnight. You run like a normal human.”

“Well, she kind of is like a normal human. She doesn’t have special powers. She doesn’t even crave blood,” Kanda shrugged before noticing my glare. “I didn’t mean it offensively, of course.”

“I’ll bring her there,” Kaleb said, appearing in the kitchen. He was that fast. One second he’d be in his room, and the next, he’ll be somewhere over the rainbow. He took a bite out of a red apple. “No worries, guys. Aleixo, Kai, you guys go ahead.”

Agatha scowled at me before sighing. She, too, was near perfection with her mesmerizing blue eyes and intelligence. She was beauty, brains and brawn.

And then there’s Aleixo. He was one of the most sought after guy in school, with Kai next in line. They were both part of the ice hockey team, and because Aunt Sally had home-schooled us for the first 2 years we were in Alaska, they had teachers wrapped around their fingers too.

Kaleb was more... low-profile. It wasn’t that he was ugly, but he didn’t go around dating girls and flexing his biceps to any possible victims. He wore spectacles and worked in the library after school. He said it was to help out.

I liked to believe that he just wanted time to himself and get stuck in a house filled with obnoxious siblings. I would know, because that was the reason I was eating so slowly too.

“You don’t have to wait for me,” I murmured as the front door clicked shut. “You know well enough I’m capable of getting to school by myself.”

“Very funny,” Kaleb looked at me as he tossed the apple into the rubbish bin without even aiming. Well, maybe he did. Maybe he was just too fast for me. “You run like a pig and walk like a snail.”

“In comparison to you, maybe,” I retorted, feeling offended. Sure, I was slowest out of all my siblings, but I would say so myself that I have a good stamina. We were both silent as I brought my cereal bowl over to the basin.

“You do know that none of us really like you that much, don’t you?” Kaleb said. I remained silent as I washed my bowl in the sink. “’Course you do. You’re the odd one out. Aleixo and Kanda even have a bet going on. Aleixo says you’re adopted. Kanda says mom had a kid with another guy.”